Old 04-12-2010   #11
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I picked up the NRS Maverick's from CKS and used em for a week in California. I put them on and then put my wrist gaskets from my dry top over them. The only moisture inside was from my hands perspiration. They were a lil small in size, I had to get the XL's. I was def impressed though.

bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have the NRS reactor gloves which work well for me. They aren't "water proof" but my hands were never cold when I paddled a little in January. They have a snug fitting wrist and a velcro strap to add to the "water resistance." They are really grippy and not cumbersome either - pogies always throw me off - I've just never been able to feel comfortable with them.
Seems like pulling your gaskets over your gloves would be quite a task...I would worry about tearing them - Did it stay? I don't think you would feel like you needed to that with the reactors but wouldn't do it anyway because of the velcro.
Hope you find something that works better for you!

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #13
boise, Idaho
after reading all these posts i went home and checked the packaging, and yes, it does say waterproof on the back. it even mentions how the seems are special in that they are sealed to be waterproof or something like that.

also, further research on the web led me to believe that neoprene is indeed waterproof. the reason wetsuits are wet is because they have no gasket. there are plenty of waterproof, neoprene fishing waders.

i really can't imagine that my hands were as wet at they were from perspiration. i imagine soaking these in a sink full of cold water would answer the leaking question. i would obviously keep the cuff out of the water.

thanks for all the great input. i think i'm going to snag some pogies. i have a few cold whitewater trips coming up, and these gloves sure don't seem work for me.
PaddleIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You can test the waterproofness easily - just fill the glove with water and see if any leaks out. If the gloves are leaking send 'em back to NRS and get a new pair.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I don't think you should expect neoprene gloves to be totally dry inside. As someone noted, the seams and wrist will likely leak some water. The main thing is you shouldn't have massive leaks where lots of water is flushing through the glove. The idea behind the neoprene gloves is to keep the water against your skin warm. Like ednaout (what does that mean anyway?), I've found the NRS Reactor gloves to be quite warm. I think they're 3.5mm thick. 2mm thick gloves provide a lot less warmth. I find the ranking of warmth from least warm to most warm to go like this:
2mm gloves, poggies, 3.5mm gloves. I have all 3 and what I use depends on the water temperature and type of boating I'm doing, but usually it's poggies.

If your hands are warmer without the gloves on, something is f'ed up! Maybe they're too tight and cutting off your circulation. Good luck keeping those hands warm.

KSC is online now   Reply With Quote