Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 03-25-2010   #1
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Waterproof Cameras

Anybody use a Canon D10 or Panasonic DMC TS1. Have been using Olympus but DP reviews say these have better iq. Specifically, is the D10 too bulky for the pfd pocket? How much does the iq go down for the TS1 at the tele end, I would like more reach. Thanks. Cheers, Leroy.

Old 03-25-2010   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I purchased the Panasonic TS1 last year before my Main Fork trip. It was a great camera until it got left behind at a bar (not my fault). The only complaint I had was the lack of a lens cover. Some of my pictures came out with water drops on the lens. The 720p video is great too. We've used it to shoot about 16 people going through Big Kahuna (Snake just outside of Jackson) on a mini-me.

My brother has had a Olympus for the past two or three years and he loves it but I didn't like it other than the lens cover and the floating strap.

I don't like the Canon D10 because of its size. I want a camera where I can slip it in my pocket and take out off the river too. The D10 didn't seem to fit this bill (on paper).

I am waiting for a review on the Sony Cyber-shot TX5 before making a replacement purchase. When I do it will be between the Panasonic DMC-TS2D and the Sony TX5. I really like the TX5 on paper and in photos but am not sold. It also isn't for sale until 4/15/10. When I do make my purchase I will be getting the Olympus floating strap and throwing it on the Sony or Panasonic.

Old 03-25-2010   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've got the pentax optio. I love it, but it does steam up and get water drops on the lense occaisionally. It fits in my pfd pocket and I've got a rubber case for it so it isn't slippery. It does NOT float, though. So far that seems to be the only problem I have with it. I attach it to my pfd so I don't lose it. I've had it for a few years.
Old 03-25-2010   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I have an older cybershot with a sony waterproof case and is similar to the design of the TX5 in that it has the similar lense and cover that slides down. The only thing I didn't like about it was that I needed the waterproof case. This looks like my next purchase.
Old 03-25-2010   #5

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I use a D10, and while it is larger than some others it still fits in the pocket of my pfd. My main concern with it is the lack of a lens cover. I have gotten the occasional shot with a drip or smudge right in the middle of a photo. Otherwise it takes excellent photos, comes on really fast, focuses instantly. The mechanical zoom is only 3x but the 12x digital zoom is very good. If you want to see photos from this camera check out Picasa Web Albums - Greg
Old 03-25-2010   #6

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I switched to Canon d10 this winter. Like the post above stated, you do get an occasional water droplet on the lens cover so a pic or two might turn out blurry. The shutter speed isn't super duper fast either when you're using a high quality iso but i don't know many point and shoots that would be. This will definitely fit in your pfd, (i've tried it) and the photos it takes are EXCEPTIONAL. The video quality is very good too, much better than my flip. I'd go with this camera, personally, cuz canons just seem to outperform other brands but I'm biased to canon since i've been using one for the past 10 years or so. Happy shopping!
Old 03-25-2010   #7
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
TS1 user. AWESOME CAMERA. No better choice for a kayaker.
Old 03-25-2010   #8

Boise, Idaho
I found the TS1 to be cumbersome and awkward to use. I thought the controls to navigate between modes and features were not user friendly either. The flash totally sucks, but you shouldn't be using that too much outside. The vid. was pretty good. All in all I felt my point and shoot older cannon took a much better quality photo. I returned the TS1.
Old 03-25-2010   #9
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID Surfer View Post
I found the TS1 to be cumbersome and awkward to use. I thought the controls to navigate between modes and features were not user friendly either. The flash totally sucks, but you shouldn't be using that too much outside. The vid. was pretty good. All in all I felt my point and shoot older cannon took a much better quality photo. I returned the TS1.
You can't compare a TS1 to any Canon camera except the D10. It uses a folded internal lens and a tiny sensor with weather sealing. Image Quality cannot compete with non-waterproof cameras.

I have my Canon A610 and a 40D for non wet times.

That said, I thought the TS1 has a really good control layout and remembers your settings well considering it is pretty much a full auto camera like all waterproof super compact P&S cams.
Old 03-25-2010   #10

Boise, Idaho
Point well taken regarding waterproof vs non waterproof. I didn't know this prior to purchase and was disappointed with the photo quality. With regards to the controls, I think I was just plain used to the cannon set up. I'm sure with practice you can get comfy with anything. Would the D10 have an inferior photo quality to an old A 80 non-waterproof P&S?

Tags
camera