Old 03-31-2010   #21
Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
I purchased a canon G10 and a waterproof case. You can probably get the whole set-up for around $700 used. I use it to take pictures of tourists, selling the photos at the takeout.

It's a little big, but I just stuff it down the front of my pfd. mind you, I'm not throwing down, but if I get flipped, it usually doesn't fall out. I have it tethered to my jacket just in case anyway.

Best camera and system I've ever owned for pics on the river. all the other photographers have to paddle down ahead of the rafts, get out, take the pelican case out of their boat, shoot the photo as the rafts float by, put the camera back in the case, put that back in their boat, get themselves in their boat, push off the shore, race to get back ahead of the rafts... I take my camera out, shoot the shot, stuff it back into the front of my pfd.

It's kind of an expensive system, but it's well worth it.

hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #22
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
If shopping for a waterproof camera, please go to Mike's Camera on S. Colorado Blvd in Denver. Ask for Jennifer Jones (manager) and tell her Patty LaBarge posted that you should go there. I used to work there and Jenn gives awesome deals for kayakers and even better advice.

PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #23
Summit County, Colorado
I use an Olympus Stylus Tough. LOVE IT! Great for rafting/kayaking, skiing, SCUBA (to a certain depth, of course), etc. It is shock proof, freeze proof, and 100% water proof. Takes great photos and decent video for a point and shoot. It has has the "touch" feature where you can just touch the sides or the top to take photos, change settings, etc. without having to remove ski gloves or wetsuit mittens. Great camera and no problems as of yet!
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #24
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I am surprised no one mentioned GoPro HD camera. I just took a WW video with mine and I was very impressed with the quality. 720p @60fps resolution produced a very clear film. Too bad Youtube messes up the quality.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #25
Denver, Colorado
Lumix TS1 sucks

I've had two Panasonic Lumix TS1 camera's leak now. I wouldn't recommend this camera.
First one leaked while on vacation in Costa Rica in a hot spring. 80 degree ambient and 100 degree water at about 1 ft depth. It was the first time I took it into any water. Perhaps the hot water is what did it in, but the small delta T compared to cold Colorado water shouldn't have resulted in too much pressure variation in the camera (and it should have been a positive pressure).
The replacement camera also leaked on it's first run. Boulder Creek, so I'm pretty sure I didn't exceed the depth spec's. No dirt or dust in either, but I could see where the water entered into the battery chamber.
I still have the original Pentax WP from 2005. Cracked the screen after 5 years of use and still never had a leak. Going with the Pentax W90 now.
"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #26
Indian Hills, Colorado
I recently picked up a fuji finepix XP10 waterproof camera. It's relatively cheap ($200) and you get what you pay for.
Battery life is good
Takes photos more or less when you hit the shutter
Easy operation
Not terrible image quality
5x optical zoom works
image stabilization is good

Not so good:
Takes about 20 seconds to boot up after you hit the "on" button
Doesn't always focus where you want it to
Low light is grainy
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #27
The OC, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Pentax Optio. Great camera, I took a video jumping off a rock into the Green... Way cool. You can buy floating straps for it, bright yellow in color, they will float the camera and make it easy to spot & keep track of...
Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #28
Angel Fire, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2004
I also have a Pentax Optio. Have owned it since 2006 and it still take great pics and video. Battery lasted for 6 days on the Main Salmon.

Speaking of video wanted to upgrade my video to HD so with Costco's lasted coupon book I bought the FLip. Yeah so that was a big mistake. Buttons are super sensitive. Has no image stabilization. Luckily I bought it at Costco so it will be returned.
backwardsraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #29
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Another vote for the Pentax Option W90. My third WR Optio, this camera is bombproof and takes great 12mp pics. Take the time to learn the controls.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #30
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I got the fuji water proof at costco for $130. I've only had it for a week but it seems to take great pics above and below water, and it is small and light. The battery only seems to be good for a week, but that s the only downside I see. I think my wife is going to get herself one after using it today.

davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote