Old 08-28-2012   #21
basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
vote for the sony. bought a TX something last year, prob. older model 5 i guess. easy to use for a non-pro fo-tow-grafer. takes great pictures and videos of me being the most bad-ass dude on the river, i like the mode where it takes rapid pics at once, like 10 with one click, so people can see multiple shots of me for at least the first 20 feet of the 100 ft. waterfalls i drop on a regular basis. def upgrade the battery, i got the longer life one and i could still use a better one, especially when it gets cold

T-Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #22
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm glad to see so many good choices in waterproof cameras. When I bought my Canon it was a new design and everyone else was between a discontinued model and a redesign.

Every other camera I've owned, except for the one at the bottom of the Roaring Fork, has succumbed to blowing sand. As well as so many zippers and propane fittings. This camera is tough!

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #23
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've been looking at the Go Pro Hero 2 for video. Does it make a good camera for stills or do I need a second camera one for video and one for stills?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #24
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969

Canon S100 in a waterproof housing is what I use as a second angle to a 5D and 7D, because it shoots the same video (lower megapixel) but excellent quality. Tons and tons of features, fast shutter (8fps), GPS, one button video, HDR, full manual control...

The Olympus cameras are cool, but I've broken the hell out of them in multiple scenarios, as well as drown them. They are slow too. Good for a simple camera but that's about it.

What exactly are you looking to do with your waterproof camera? Also what is your price range? I shoot a lot of video and pictures so I like nice things... The S100 happens to be the nicest point and shoot on the market (for now) and it really shows it.

Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
I've been looking at the Go Pro Hero 2 for video. Does it make a good camera for stills or do I need a second camera one for video and one for stills?
there is a delay from the time you press the shutter to when it takes a pic. They are incredibly useful for time lapse and video applications, or a second (3rd 4th 5th) angle. I wouldn't bank on them though as they are not meant to be a camera as you might want. Plus how many crappy GoPro videos are there on the web? Way too many. Again, ask yourself what exactly you want to do with your camera and then make your decision.
DVKEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #25
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
For video I use a Kodak Playsport. Waterproof, fairly tough, decent video, and cheap to replace if lost or it dies. It also takes ok still pics. For good still pics I still carry my old and trusty Fuji DSLR in a Pelican case, strapped on my frame for easy access.
Unless you buy it extra, the GoPro doesn't have an LCD view screen, so not great for taking pictures.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #26
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have used a Panasonic Lumix TS3 for a few years and have liked it. I had one stolen and replaced it with the same model last year. The only down side is night time shots. They are a bit grainy. Otherwise it is pretty sturdy. $250 at Amazon.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #27
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
all point and shoot cameras are horrible at low light and long exposure due to the lack of quality sensor as well as aperture and lens size. If you want night shots get a DSLR... Even my S100 is really crappy at long exposure compared to a DSLR. Same goes for the Canon G series (G10, G1X....) which is supposed to be an alternative to a DSLR in a small (relative) size.
DVKEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #28
Amy T
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Hi all, thanks for all of the advice. I think I'm going to go with the Nikon Coolpix AW100. 16 MP with frame stabilization. My husband has a project called "365" where he takes a picture every day. This is his 3rd year and the Olympus pictures just were not of good enough quality for his heroic effort!

Amy T is offline   Reply With Quote