Old 08-28-2012   #11
Commercial Paleontology
Waterproof cameras..Olympus Tough series

I hate the Olympus Tough series..Waterproof..HA...I bought one the day before my Middle Fork trip & on day two it crapped out..Missed the while trip...They warranted it no problem & the next one which was replaced with it's newest series number lasted one month over a year & they wouldn't warranty it...So I actually like an idiot bought another one..but bought the lower priced one ( they make two & the only real dif is water depth & height of dropping it so they say)...I took it on the Grand this year & on about day 8 it started wacking out from moisture in it & I pay strict attention to the seals..This time they said they would allow me to pay $50 like I had bought extra warranty time & take it back & fix or replace..I said Thanxs but no Thanxs..I am done with Olympus!!!!

Not sure why I am having such bad luck with them cause I have two friends who have had there's working perfect for years....but there's are series models bought 1-2 years before my first purchase....Hmmmmm....

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #12
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Panasonic TS4 is a quite awesome and you can pick it up for $250 on Amazon right now.

SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #13
Newb Sauce
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I have a Nikon AW-100 that I have really liked so far. It was recommended to me by a friend that still likes his. Another friend also bought one and likes it.
Milquetoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #14
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have an Olympus Tough - the lighter duty of the 2 versions, had it now for several years. It takes crappy video and not the best pics but it's been dropped, soaked constantly, lost it's lanyard and almost lost to the depths of the river many times but it's still running and taking pics. Also the high speed pic setting is awesome - most of my friends are jealous that their camera's don't take as many shots as quickly.

For the 300 bucks I spent I feel I've gotten my money's worth and then a lot more.
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #15
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have the Olympus Tough and love it. I have beaten the crap out of it, and it keeps on doing it job, taking pictures.

Along these lines, I just read this article about "Shockproof and Waterproof"
Skiing - Dear Panasonic
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #16
Olympia, Washington
Paddling Since: 210
A Canon g13 or older is a fantastic camera if you are a photo geek. They sell a scuba housing for under 200. Well worth the money, and waaaaay nicer than lugging a dslr in a pelican.
orangeradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #17
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
I have a Fuji XP50, which gets mixed review. Best feature--turns on and is ready to shoot quicker than anything else I've seen. But I do get lots of out of focus shots, which I think is from the way I have been holding it. The lens is near the edge that i want to grip. Costco had them cheap.
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #18
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Pentax makes the best cameras for whitewater! I've had my W80 for years. The newest version, the WG-2 is an amazing camera with GPS optional. They are extremely tough, and you can put an extra rubber case around it to make it even better. Check it out...

PENTAX - Optio WG-2 Vermillion Red
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by SummitAP View Post
Panasonic TS4 is a quite awesome and you can pick it up for $250 on Amazon right now.
I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3, which I think is basically the same as the TS4, but it is shockproof as well as waterproof. I LOVE it. I've got pretty high standards when it comes to a camera, and I've been so happy with it that I use it off the water, too, often in place of lugging my DSLR around.
piobeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #20
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I have the Canon Powershot D-10, and is water proof up to 33'. I've had it for almost 2 years and have used it extensively with no issues at all. I highly recommend it for a great do it all camera when it comes to outdoor type situations.

wildh2onriver is online now   Reply With Quote