Old 02-23-2013   #1
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Wanted - LTB an old Rome Industries two handle DO

Dutch Oven. Anyone have one that they would sell? Let me know. Thanks.

Katboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #2
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I haven't seen one of those babies in a long time. Cascade Outfitter has these..... similar.
Good luck with the search.
Cascade Outfitters Whitewater Rafting Equipment: Woody Combo Oven and Gripper

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #3
Jenks, Oklahoma
The Rome units are no longer manufactured by Rome. Like a bunch of Buzzers, I have both called and emailed Rome. They say the issue was the quality of the units was not good. Evidently the Chinese are not very good at casting aluminum.

There may be a few left on shelves of little known stores. After seeing these units in action on a Grand Canyon trip, I wanted one. The top is a great fry pan and we used the top about every morning for breakfast cooking. Fits a partner steel 4 burner just perfect. One of the Buzzards called me about seeing the Rome units at an outfitter in Denver. I immediately called and got my Rome DO and fish fryer.

Bottom line maybe you will get lucky and a Buzzard will respond to your post. I don't think Rome is going to make the "Fish fryer" aka Dutch oven but calling them might help.

I have one of the square DO "Woodie" units and altho it is a good DO, it is not the Rome unit replacement. But the top can be used as a square fry pan.

Good Luck!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #4
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Yeah I've talked to Rome also. I have one but need one more. Got a partner d.o. A couple years ago and don't like it as much. Just seeing if anyone here had one they might part with? Thomas
Katboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #5
Jenks, Oklahoma
Kat, I understand. If I could find another one, I would buy it just to have a spare. They do look a bit fragile when compared to GSI.

By the way, I have all sorts of Dutch Ovens including Partner Steel. I have baked things like cakes and lasagna in the P/S just fine. I cannot complain about the P/S DO units as they make great pots for what ever. But, my go to and best liked dutch ovens for rafting are the GSI. I have a old York box set up with two GSI 12's on one end with a GSI 10 inside one of the DO's and a stainless steel mixing bowl and big spoon inside the other. (I find most cook boxes do not have good cake mix bowls - do not know why). Various little gadgets like can openers, lid stands and pot roast inserts for the DO bottom fill in the extra space. In the free space at the end is my P/S coffee pot a Stainless Steel Carafe and various DO things like tongs and gloves plus my personal coffee cup. This setup handles groups of 12 to 16 really well. If more I will throw in my GSI 14 in another box. I think the GSI hard anodized aluminum cook well (not as good as well seasoned cast iron, but better than plain aluminum) and go into the dish washing train. So I do not have to baby them on river trips like I would cast iron.

Lots of chatter on the Rome unit over the years. If some one with casting ability to make these things, my bet is there would be a lot of demand. As an aside, the Rome sandwich cooker makes some really nice treats. Butter up and cinnamon two whole wheat sandwich bread slices, spoon in some apple sauce (or fruit or pie fillings and sprinkle brown sugar to taste and use the Rome unit to toast em up! A great way to make a camp fire do double duty. They make great ham and cheese toasted sandwiches as well.

At first I did not think the Rome DO part would work without legs. But we just put the bottom direct on charcoal briquettes 24 top 12 bottom and baked cornbread, cakes and bread like a champ.

message me if you find a Rome source, I keep looking but no luck lately.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I found a bunch at AAA Inflatbales in Denver a couple of years ago right after I saw Dave was looking for one. I grabbed one and messaged Dave. Call AAA and see if they have any more. The owner mentioned to me that they ordered a bunch when they learned that Rome was stopping production.

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote