Old 03-23-2009   #11
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I just found a different source, not sure if they would be exactly the same, but 1 1/2" nickel plated steel welded o rings rated to 880 lbs. 1" just a tiny bit less. They don't give the thickness, but "heavy" probably correlates with "heavy duty". I haven't checked out the local hardware for these, but from my recollection I wouldn't even compare them.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #12
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Old thread, I know!

So- after 2 years, still using this? How well is it working?

Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #13
Jenks, Oklahoma
Vittle vault leaked big time for me, seal was not good.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #14
Springfield, Oregon
Okieboater: was your VV new when introduced to whitewater? Every time I feed the dog I wonder if they are truly waterproof. But I noticed a lot of little nicks in the gasket from years of use.
jrice345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #15
Jenks, Oklahoma
Actually it was a first time use.

It was a extended time underwater flip of the raft. Good part was I only used it for trip charcoal and it was a day from the end of the trip. I was impressed with the vaults and thought it was ideal for rafting. Which it is in design, quality of construction is my peeve.

My take on these containers (I have a couple for pet food as well - that is what got me to use one on a float trip) is the gasket material is pretty much worthless. If there was a replacement real O ring quality gasket, they might work. The pet food gaskets all came off the top just in daily use at home. I had taken care of the gasket on the charcoal unit tho and it still leaked. What I do now is pre measure out the charcoal in big ziplocs and just use the vault for exterior protection not waterproofness. There is no way I would use these vaults for poop boxes or anything not water proofed in addition to being in the vault.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote