Old 02-06-2010   #1
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
USIA Drysuits

Anyone have an opinion on them? Good, bad, or other?

Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #2
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Wow... nobody huh? Kind of surprised as they are american made and not astronomically priced.

Maybe I will just bite the bullet and be the guinea pig then...

Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Looked at their site - didn't see any breathable fabrics listed. Their USIA FRONT ENTRY PRO RAFTING DRY SUIT goes for $404 on their Ebay store. Non-breatheable dry suits kinda suck for rafting and kayaking. I have seen people literally pour sweat out of non-breathable dry suits.

Kokata's Tropos 3 front entry drysuit is available for $431 at That is a breathable suit from a top brand manufacturer. I recently sent in my 7 year old suit to Kokatat for pinhole leak repair. They sent me back a brand new suit free of charge. Said the leaks were a manufacturers defect due to some fabric delamination. For $440 at the same site you can get the Kokatat Super Nova suit with a relief zipper, socks and a neoprene neck closure. From what I hear the neoprene neck is very dry, but you could probably cut it out and glue a latex gasket in there if you needed to. Or even better just add a latex gasket under the neoprene one. (I think most latex gaskets are glued to the fabric directly - check out the video on on how to remove and replace a neck gasket. - Bomber Gear - Neck Gaskets)
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #4
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Check out OS Systems. I think they're real close to you. Call them and find out their discount (% off list). I was surprised when I ordered mine, they offered up that a discount was available for members of water organizations, and they took my AW membership with no question. I don't recall the costs, I had full custom sizing, custom gaskets, and other accessories, but I think their economy suit (breathable) is great. That was my starting point because I needed the across-the-shoulder zip instead of the front. It's a little more hassle, someone has to help me, but I don't boat alone so there's always someone to help.

Anyone I know with a "bag" (non-breathable) drysuit upgrades within a few years.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote