Old 11-28-2012   #11
Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks again everyone.

Solboater -- do you use a NRS standing platform in the bow? If so, what lean bar do you use? Also, did you need to support the front of the casting platform by cam strapping it to a d ring on the inside of the bow?

Cataraft fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #12
Ashlandistan, Oregon
No on the floor deck, just make sure your floor is topped off, bleeder valve is working properly, and your floor does not leak. Full thigh brace as I think the other is a hazard, also like to fish both sides of the boat quickly, and the partial bar is just one more thing for line to get hooked up on. Yes, on the cam strap, but it runs to the outside bow d-ring. -Sol

solboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #13
Chattaroy, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I have a 14' ST that I use for a lot of fishing. And I have a friend with a strike also. The strike is the best fishin raft I have ever used. It really doesn't get enough credit! It rows very close to a drift boat. You could actually pull plugs for steelhead in it cause it hardly drafts any water. It's an unbelievable boat! The 2 camber thing is for weight savings. Not that it saves much. There are some guides that run fly fishing guided trips down the alberton gorge in strikes all the time too.

I love my ST though. Great boat for bigger trips and water. And it is also a great rig to fish out of. When I got my sotar though I wanted a boat that I could use for anything. And the strike can but the ST is a more versatile I think. If I could have both I would. If I could have one, I would still pick an ST. And I would pick an ST over an SL too. But again that's my opinion.
hellomyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #14
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Strike v. ST

I would not want to take a 2-chamber boat full of gear on the MFS.
swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #15
Breckenridge, Colorado
I am interested only in fishing and would not want to take this over a Class III, Sotar states this "Strikes come standard with two air chambers in the main outside tube, a welded I beam floor,"- does this make it any better for safety?
Mamacast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #16
OC-1 disciple
Fort Collins, Colorado
2-chambered craziness

Make sure the rivers you get permits for, allow 2-chambered crafts. For example, the Gates and Yampa explicitly forbid the use of 2-chambered craft as the primary craft (you can have IK and inflatable paddle boards, etc). It sure would suck to be mid-day, about to do some tricky maneuver and have that scored abrasion from your all evening of wave action on that sneaky rock finally blow (I have seen that happen!), leaving you one tube, contemplating how well your gear will help keep the rest of the boat floating, much less how maneuverable it is...

If I had my druthers, Sotar all the way, but is there a concern amongst the group of storing a craft partially inflated all winter outside, even under a tarp, I think about stuff like cold cracks, rodents, etc...
jonas_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #17
Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I ended up going with the ST (well, actually the SP, it I hear its the exact same thing). Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I would love to hear if any of you think storing the boat outside under a tarp will be an issue. Thoughts or advice?

Cataraft fishin is offline   Reply With Quote