Old 06-14-2006   #1
used creeker

looking to buy a used creek boat to try some harder stuff, and am looking for adivce. I know i should get a new one but I don't have any money. I am 5'9 160 size 9 feet. I have only paddled play boats, and have never even sat in a bigger boat in a river. I am looking at the Y, CFS, Prijon Creeker, and Embudo because I can get them for around $300. Any advice.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #2
Golden, Colorado
Here's my take on those three boats. I love the Y and the CFS. Hate the Embudo. And never tried the Creeker.

The Y was my first creek boat. I bought it after demoing a bunch of boats because it made big pushy rapids really easy. It tracks great and didn't take alot of correcting like some of the more bulbous boats. It made runs like Black Rock and Bailey much easier. It just seemed to be on autopilot. That said, it wasn't a great boat for tight, steep, rocky creeks. The sharp chines catch on rocks and the tail seems to get squirted easier than some boats. I also didn't feel safe in the Y since I couldn't get my knees out of the cockpit while sitting in it. You're shorter so it may not be a problem.

So when I stepped up to steeper low-volume creeks I got the CFS. I love it for that type of boating. It floats over holes, boofs effortlessly, shrugs off rocks, and is easy to exit. I wish I would have kept my Y for really big pushy Class V though. The CFS is a bit of a dog.

The embudo sucked. I know a lot of good boaters who loved it, but admit it guys, you got paid to like it didn't you? The boat seemed to sub out and piton in every drop. Plus the kink in the cockpit causes spray skirts to implode. I've also heard some people didn't like how it seemed to speed down steep runs when you wanted it to slow down a bit so everything wasn't coming at you so fast. The plastic is bomber though.

Haven't tried the creeker but heard it is just to short for anything but stuff like OBJ and the Source. I've been thinking of getting one for those types of runs just becuse the plastic is so bomber.

Get the Y if you're doing higher volume, pushy runs. If you can find one of the old cross link Y's (the "Y" logo is on the side instead of the top like the new Y's are - or visa versa) they are tough boats. Get the CFS if you're doing lower volume steep creeks.

I'm, 6'-0" 160 lbs, size 9.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006   #3
dropzone, Colorado
Hey Brian,

I have a pyranha micro 240 I am selling that would be in your price range. It is in great condition and is a very predictable creekboat. It is very stable, with excellent secondary stability, easy to roll and boof. Good boat for your size as well. PM me if you are interested.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #4
Any thoughts about the H3 I know its supposed to be a river runner but I've heard of people creekin in it. Would it be a death trap on low volume rocky runs?
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #5
pnw, Washington
That would depend on who you asked. I paddle a Burn and have paddled an H3 I would say that there would definetly be better environments for an H3 than a low volume creek but I am not an expert on creeks.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #6
Ft Collins, Colorado

Think a bit about what you really want to paddle. If you're just moving up you might not want a full-on creek boat (I think they're dogs for most everything else). I've had several creek boats and now have a Diesel 65. I'm 5' 10", 150 lbs, and not very strong. I looked hard at the H3, Diesel, Little Joe, but not at what I'd call full-on creek boats. The H3 requires a larger spray skirt (hey, I already have 3 skirts; don't want another) and it's heavier. Lots of people like it. I think the Diesel is great for what I call "easy class 5" (yes, I know that's an oxymoron...). I'm past running the real gnar. I've also paddled a Nomad, which I think is faster but it didn't suit my style. Many of the creek boats also have a high cockpit rim, so if you're shorter than 6' or so, you might want to pad the seat - this will increase performace and make it easier to roll.

Anyway, I really like the Diesel. The boat is like a Volvo station wagon - it does lots of things very well, althought it's probably not the very best boat for anything. I'd recommmend it if you want a really comfortable boat that boofs well, has good speed, is light and responsive, will run the hard stuff, but is also fun for more general river running. If you want a full-on creeker, then it's probably not the best choice.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I have owned a CFS and an embudo and paddled a Y alot. I really like the Y. It is the easiest boat to paddle of the bunch without having to get used to it. An old cross-link Y for cheap would be a great deal. The CFS is sluggish. It boofs great, bounces off rocks, and avoids pins well but its really sluggish. I traded mine for an embudo and could not be happier. The embudo handles so much better. It snaps into eddies and makes ferries with confidence. Does not boof quite well as the CFS but it still boofs fine. Only thing is it leaks. My .02.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #8
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
If you want to learn to run the shit in CO, get the CFS or Micro.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote