Old 11-02-2010   #1
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
ultimate adventure vehicle/set up

Ok here it is. Been thinking about how to create/buy the ultimate adventurre vehicle or create one.,

Several ideas immediately come to mind, but they are expensive.

Sportsmobile seems to be bomber
Earthroamer is made right up here in Longmont

I ran into a retired northface executive a year ago, he swore by a combination of Toyota 4runner with a rack mounted Autohome ( kind of a roof box with a queen size bed inside with all the trimmings made in Italy)

The rooftop bed could be mounted on many vehicles.

It seems to me that just a full sized van would do for most situations but the 4 wheel drive capability would definitely increase the adventure quotient.

Experience with reliability and drivability would be appreciated.
Toyota FJ, Porsche Cayenne. 4 wheel truck with slide in camper set up.

Am thinking of mostly staying in Colorado but would need to be able to get to ID, NM, CA in order to follow the water.

I noticed the rig/van in North American River Gypsys book. What was that? 4 wheel drive? Custom outfitting?

Hey its almost winter and time to do a little dreaming. Although we did do an ELF run on Browns Canyon this past weekend that was totally worthy.

What do you all think??

Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Tacoma with a topper, or a fixed up Westy with wood floors, nice kitchen and a comfortable bed..... I love my truck although.

jnanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #3
Carbondale, Colorado
I don't think you can beat the sportsmobile setup. I have a 3/4 ton diesel with a slide in pop-up camper. It's a light camper, but even with overload springs on the truck - you know it's there. I can't imagine having a pop-up camper on a Toyota pickup, those things are slow enough empty. It's a pretty sweet set-up, but has it's draw backs too. Forest service acces roads are one thing - 4 wheeling is pretty much a do only if necessary option. Storage options dwindle rapidly with a camper in the back, limiting you to rooftop loading of kayaks, etc.(and popups don't really like the extra weigth up top). Still, we can go more places than if we were towing a pop-up trailer, and it take 2 minutes tops to set up. If I had the $$$ to burn, we would have got a sportsmobile a long time ago.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #4
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Posts: 471 buddy just bought one, the thing is unreal. I have owned Tacoma, Chevy Silverado. That big ass Chevy Sportsmobile is crazy nice.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #5
pnw, Washington
Not to be hating because you have coin and I dont but wow those are expensive. I must be doing something wrong.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #6
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
expensive is a good word for it....$60K USED. crazy
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
FWIW, I have a friend who bought a new Sportsmobile a few years back. It's been one expensive repair after another ever since. It's been a moneypit. A cool moneypit. I like my Tundra w/Phoenix pop-up.
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #8
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
As a cheaper alternative to sportsmobile check out GTRV:
GTRV - The Drivable, Garagable, Pop Top Camper!

A little under 40K for a full size van with poptop and basic camper last time I checked.

I have full size ford van with a VW Vanagon interior (homemade job). Its great but I have a high hardtop which makes it hard to put boats on the roof. For me the 4x4 is not worth the huge extra vehicle cost and fuel penalty. The van has pretty high clearance for FS roads and I have 4 separate wheels with studded snow tires for winter.
afox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #9
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
If you're boating in the western usa just get something with a little ground clearance. I have had 2 gmc safari vans awd and they have gotten me to all put ins and take outs in Co, NM, Ut, ID, Mt, Ca, Or, and Wa. If you're headed up to Canada or South of the border full on 4x4 big stuff maybe needed. But save your bucks and get what you need not what you want. The only times I have gotten stuck was coming out of my garage on days when it dumped 2-3' of front range upslope storms.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #10
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Get a used Dodge 2500 mega cab with a Lance bed camper. just my two cents

dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote