Old 09-06-2011   #21
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by BoscoBoater

Why would you need to sit so high above the tubes in the first place? My seat is mounted about an inch higher than the tubes. The oar towers are about 6".

My frame is flat with no drop bars. I can make the gap as narrow or as wide as I want. I keep it narrow when I am running light with the the day frame and make it quite wide when I add the cargo module. With the cargo module, I can load the coolers between the tubes low and centered.

I haven't had any problem with my oars hitting gear yet, and I carry plenty 'o gear. It's all in how you pack it.

Even fully loaded, it still sits a lot lower than my other raft with it's 26 inch tubes. And it hauls a shitload more.

Your missing the biggest benefits to me... It is paid for, backed up by a quality manufacture, is still in excellent shape and should stay that way for many years to come.
I sit on a lowback seat above a drybox that is about 13" deep. So my seat is probably about 4" higher on the frame If your tubes are 20" but have 1" less draft, you are probably 8" closer to the water. What you have works, but i would doubt it if seated higher

One advantage i could see would be an 84" wide frame, river permitting

But i do look at these outfitted cougar / panther setups and think it looks more like a sweep boat than a watercraft

We both Run Aire so our boats will both be sold or we will die of old age before they wear out. I just have nine more years of no fault warrantee left on my boat ...

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #22
missoula, montana
Paddling Since: 1990
new aire couger

I have a cougar from last years batch. I would consider selling it for what I have into it, which is a lot. I love the boat, I bought it because my 13' wildcat was too small for some of the rivers I was running. The only complaint is that it is really big. I like to float solo and It is a struggle to flip back over, and I'm not really a small guy. I wish they would have offered the panther when I bought this. But other than it being really big its a fun boat. I've run some pretty huge water on this boat. I would feel comfortable running anything on it.

sean_d_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #23
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
I flipped one in the GC, Hermit I believe and my brother flipped his at Specter the next year. They flip just like any other boat.

Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
But they do sometimes flip, even with a big load.
On the Salt last year at Eye of the Needle. Not my boat.
I think this is the 15.5 ft version. Not so sporty here.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #24
silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
That sure looks rather suspiciously like a double tube Hyside...
Yea i think you're right, I own a cougar and have run HUGE water with it,ie the crystal and horn holes ( crystal i meant to, horn i fked up and did'nt) m f salmon at 7 .5 feet Cat at 45k etc. Very stable boat but it is a billboard in upstream winds and it gets sucked into eddies very easily especially in the lower granite gorge. The problem with the 15 foot version is when you run sharp drops they like to flip front over back unless you have weight or the oarsman on the front because there is so much surface area to catch the very least it does a huge wheelie. the amazing thing about them though is that they draft just inches if you run them light and can run very low water which will be the case this year. Good luck
bluebtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #25
Searching for water....., Nevada
These look fun:

14' Aire Cataraft

Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote