Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 02-19-2011   #11
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
here are some pics of some of the Barney Bags we use on our trip. two bags usually good enough for the tents, sleeping bags, pads, clothing etc. for about 10 people on a week long trip. They come in all shapes and sizes including trapezoid so it fits perfectly in the stern of your boat. Also I think they have some that have straps in the bottom so you can elevate the bag off your floor if you have a bucket boat ...

also the zipper/opening is not on the top of the bag so there is a lip that helps shed water and keep the bag from accumulating water. You can see the zipper covers in both pics below. All shapes, sizes, colors, etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1342.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	840.2 KB
ID:	3221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0918.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	703.1 KB
ID:	3222  

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #12
Don't know anything about SNS but I have to give another vote for Ray at TRS... I've done several trips with him and know he cares about his products, and has definitely tested and perfected his gear over decades of first-hand experience.

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #13
i have gotten great products from both SNS and TRS and have an Everything bag from Ray. Last year some F'n rodent got into my gear and chewed a couple of 3" holes in the bag, Ray fixed it. His comment when I tried to pay him for the repairs..."I have not charged a nickel in 20 years to repair my goods and I'm not about to start now". I would bet that Jan would say the same thing.
This is also something that has caught our eye...
Pulse Fabrication - Stern "Oar-Ganizer" Cargo Bag
don't know anything about it but I did buy their spare oar keeper last year and like it.
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #14
Just got an everything bag with lid from Stitches N Stuff. Jan was really helpful with another special order item that turned out sweet. I've seen the Tuff River Stuff bags they are more burly than Stitches but a good bit more $$ Both are good
CREEKER138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #15
Boise, Idaho
Have spoken with both Jan and Ray on the phone. Jan is very helpful and professional and Ray is a hoot, especially when he told me he includes bloody mary mix because "you'll need something to do while everyone else rigs their boats." Too funny.

Anywho, I got the impression that Ray's bags certainly are tough while Jan's stuff(not as tough due to single layer mesh) sounds more technical. Ray told me in order to suspend a load in the stern of the boat, one should run a beaver board underneath his bag. He said he always just piles his stuff on the floor and has never worried about it. Jan told me her bag, which is patterned after her cargo floors, works to suspend the gear pile up off of the floor.

I looked at ray's prices and specs and if I get one I will probably get his generic size and while it may not make the very best use of space in the boat, I like the 36" diameter and 4 ft height. Overall, if you want super "tuff" bags that will outlast your boat, it looks like Ray's are it. On the other hand I don't doubt that Jan does great work and she appears to have her niche in the custom fab. market carved out.

Toughness/value = Ray
More technical stuff and great products = Jan
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #16
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I have Jan's bag with the stitched floor, two sets of loops to suspend the bag a few inches from the bottom. Works great and I love her products. Very easy to work with.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #17
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I ended up getting a bag from Jan since I have one of her drop bags that has held up thus far. The large size from Jan had more cubic inches of space and it was a little cheaper. I don't doubt Ray's stuff and I had a hard time deciding who to go with. No doubt either product from either place will surely hold up to my usage as a private boater...

After I put it to some use I will provide more feedback and also let you know how many Bloody Mary's I was able to finish in the time I was waiting for the rest of the group to rig their boats

This weather has me itchin' to get on the river! Just might have to do a Shoshone run this weekend!
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #18
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I have 4 items from Ray, and they are all stout.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
For those that have bags without the lids - if you bought new would you get a clam-shell lid? Why or why not?

Also does anybody have a Pacific River Bag? How does it compare to the others?

Thank you.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #20
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007

I just bought a bag from Jan and planned on getting the clam shell going into it but talked to Jan about it and it seemed that the clam-shell was a lot of extra material especially if you weren't running the bag at full capacity.

She suggested the spider harness in lieu of the clam shell lid. I went that route and have no regrets. The nice thing about the spider harness is that you can use it to keep the bag in the stern bay. Sure the everything bag is connected to your D's and frame but in the event of a flip gravity would pull the bag and its contents down and out of the stern bay. The spider harness helps with this issue by putting downward pressure (when boat is right side up) by connecting to D's and then running through bag D's and being tightened down. On low-key runs you can leave it at home and just run with the bag.

I don't have any experience with the Pacific River Bag but personally I didn't like the idea of a zipper for closure. I would think the zipper could fail over time?

Check out a picture of the octo-harness being used with Jan's bag on her site. The spider harness is basically the same thing except with 6 strap "legs" instead of 8.

Cargo Storage, Cargo Thing, Everything Bag, Cargo Thing Bag

Note: I don't work for Jan but find her gear to be totally bomber. She is super easy to work with, very responsive, and ships wicked fast!

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote