Old 04-05-2010   #11
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
99% sure tongue weight and 1% says bearings on the hubs. Have you been greasing them?

dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #12
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Tongue weight

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #13
C. Springs, Colorado
If you can easily lift the trailer off the WILL sway on you. You must have weight on the ball or risk serious injury. (100 lbs minimum) This is how trailers become disconnected from your vehicle. More than once I've gotten to a job site to find the crew forgot to close the receiver hitch. The only way it stayed on is because of tongue weight and luck that they didn't hit a big bump to disconnect it. With a car trailer you need around 400 lbs of tongue weight. You usually end up with a car sitting as far forward on the trailer as possible to achieve this.

Too much tongue weight will mess with your steering there is a happy medium. This is more prevalent when towing a heavy trailer, like a car trailer or travel trailer. You hit a bump and your front wheels leave the road and you loose steering control. Too little weight and the thing whips like no tomorrow. Get the load situated right with proper tongue weight....and you won't even know it's back there.

Things you might try is to mount your spare trailer tire on the front or tongue of the trailer. You can also add permanent weight or a large rocket box to the front to add weight to. Do whatever it takes to make it safe so you don't loose the thing off the back of your vehicle. If it ever does come will poop your pants.

FWIW.....I own a landscape business and Nursery and tow trailers on a somewhat daily basis ......or send crews out with them. If a wheel falls off, you see lots of sparks and it's not so scary. Loose the trailer off the back..........I think you get the point.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #14
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
add more tongue weight!!
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #15
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Tongue Weight Consensus

Totally know what you're saying about trailers. I lost a loaded landscaping trailer in front of the Pickle Barrel in FoCo about 7 years ago. Scared the shit out of me bad. That's how I know to be paranoid and watch them in the mirror carefully. Thanks for all the tips guys. Looking at it yesterday, I realized that with my truck camper on, I had the boat riding about 6 inches further back than it wants to. I think loaded cooler in the front bay is the key. Or loaded groover...

ECarlson: You guys got the big 303 containers yet?
Dude, I'd see you on the river but I'm hardly ever out there.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #16
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
No 303 yet but I can order today do you just want 1 one gallon container?
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #17
San Juan Islands, Washington
Add more tongue weight. I had the same problem when I first got my trailer together, I ended up getting a Rubbermaid type box and mounting it on the tongue. I keep a jack, lugwrench, BBQ, some firewood and other stuff in there I don't want in the trailer with boating gear. haven't had a problem since.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #18
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Simpleman: Something else you might consider... I have a similar setup to you ('99 Taco pullin' a wide flatbed), and even with plenty of tongue weight, I still get a little bit of sway when things get bumpy at freeway speeds. I'm 90% sure it has to do with poor/old suspension on the front of my truck, along with bad bushings on my sway bar. To get a better idea of the physics of it, think of a dog wagging its tail and the shoulders/head swaying back and forth with it.

I'm upgrading/replacing all of that within a couple weeks, if you want I can let you know how it's holding up.
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
tyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #19
ridgway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
All the comments above are germain. Physics will get us through idiocy better than times of no....
Tongue weight and axle location are key.Never load a single or double axle trailer aft of the axles. You should be able to pick up the tongue by yourself or with some help to locate it in the ball. If you can't then too much weight on the tongue. The only time to speed up in the "jimmies" is if the axle is at the back of the trailer. Otherwise you will make it worse. balance should be forward of the axle(s) Assuming a truck you can have 1500 to 6000 lbs weight on the trailer. GVW on most trucks is 4 to 6000 lbs. The trailer should never weigh more than that. It is on the door post of your vehicle.
Speeding up with a single axle with the jimmies is not a good idea. You will have to slow down through that event horizon eventually, where it will happen again. Check the drop on your hitch to ascertain that the trailer is level. Load tongue heavy .
When driving a Shelby Mustang never brake into a corner. Why?
With a trailer you have a lot more weight and a whip behind you.
Load right and drive right

thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote