Old 03-26-2011   #1
Boise, Idaho
tractor seat vs temptress seat

I am trying to save 40 or 50 bucks over buying a grey nrs tractor seat. I have settled on this:

Michigan Seat Lawn Tractor Seat, Model# V-250 | Lawn Tractor + Utility Vehicle Seats | Northern Tool + Equipment - 50 bucks shipped

or if I decide to get a high back, a temptress shell which i will pad myself.

Questions: are temptress made of plastic? durable? friendly install?

Michigan seats any good? easy install?

Will either of these match up with nrs parts? I assume if one did it would be the michigan seat from northern tool as it is a tractor seat like nrs sells.

Anyone have an old seat for grabs/sale?

I have read the seat threads on here and overall I'm still curious if it is worth the extra 40-50 bucks for a drain hole and less modification.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #2
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I pulled my Michigan highback off my frame and if swear that thing feels like it's waterlogged, even when bone dry. After a few years the material will stiffen and then crack The strip holding the fabric on the frame almost always pulls off requiring you to reaffix it to keep the seat from peeling off. Do you have a link to option b?

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #3
Boise, Idaho
Online Store

Not sure on the specs for the mounting holes or what the seat is made of. I believe NRS specs are 7" x 7.5"
Old 03-27-2011   #4
Boise, Idaho
It looks like the temptress are plastic. However, polypro can be very strong and the design looks good, better than NRS plastic seat for sure. Madcatr also has pictures of one on his website and I think he uses them so they must be good. I have heard people talk about how in a flip if the boat hit a rock the seat back would tilt up and avoid damage, but only in one direction obviously. What if there was enough foam on the seat back to provide the necessary buoyancy to allow the seat to fold as soon as it hit the water? Then the seat back wound be parallel to the water as opposed to perpendicular. Someone will more than likely chime in and say they already thought of this I'm sure...

Did more research real quick and with shipping the cheapest seat is already at 80 bucks, almost more than an nrs with the slight pro deal I get. Unless the temptress folding design is amazing or the plastic is super light and strong etc. etc, the nrs seat is already padded/drained and is kind of a no brainer...
Old 03-27-2011   #5
Boise, Idaho
I am going to head to sportsman's warehouse when the time comes and try some out as they have them on their website for 70 bucks padded and then try the nrs ones. I'll probably get whichever has the best blend of strength, fit, weight, range of motion, ease of mounting and will post my findings. I still have yet to try my plywood seats idea with thwart or drybag strapped for backrest/brace but when I lifted my frame yesterday the weight was ridiculous and with wood seats I also need twice the amount of crossbars, not to mention the 3/4'' CDX probably weighs a ton. I also have tall oar stands with cobra locks and I bet the shorter stands with some lighter locks would shave a decent amount of weight. Hard to imagine all the work I still have to do just to get the ocelot on the water, at least without bending my craplisle oars because the boat is too damn heavy to row!
Old 03-27-2011   #6
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
There has been a recent discussion over at Idaho Whitewater about Tempress vs Michigan. Tempress seem to fare much better during flip floats, both the NRS and Michigan get beat to hell. Most people use them without the padding, although there are exceptions to that (as with all rigging).

I believe the Michigan midback still has the same bolt pattern as NRS, I know for a fact the new lowback black ones from northern DO NOT.

NRS has bolt pattern specs on their website.

The three seats (Michigan, NRS gray, and Tempress) are all very different seats and all are just fine for boating. Personal fit and taste are the most important in my opinion. I like low backs, and hate the NRS ones, too much padding and I can't brace in them.
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #7
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980

My cat took a little upside down trip a couple weeks ago. Bent the steel frame, busted a cataract oar, but the tempress seat came through unscathed. The tempress seat also gives a real secure ride because the upright angle of the back really lets you brace yourself in. Without padding though, it always bruises the backs of my hip bones. I've seen people glue closed-cell foam to the back. I'm going to try that and see if it helps. For an extended trip, I'd definitely go with a different, padded seat. I got a lawn tractor seat at Lowes for 50 bucks that works great.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #8
prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
i have that michigan seat on my raft and the high back on my cat.
think i have an old low back nrs seat that still has a season or two left on it that you can have.
pm me!
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #9
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
These look pretty decent, but the bolt pattern is not the same. You would have to drill the right pattern in an NRS aluminum plate.
Tractor Riding Mower Grey Complete Seat 11" NEW - eBay (item 130491244553 end time Mar-04-11 18:54:16 PST)
I wonder if a black seat might burn your a$$ on a mid summer desert trip...
markinsteamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #10
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Bring a supersoaker for after lunch and keep the seat uv protected

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote