Old 10-10-2011   #51
steamboat springs, Colorado
Just for the stock 97 Ford Ranger with no mods other than a hula hoop girl on the dashboard, went to the tip of baja and back twice (via the backroads, of course), and then on the third run I hopped on the ferry at La Paz and took about six months getting to Yucatan and back. It ain't the truck.... that said, I am now a Tacoma owner.

(But just thinking about that road out of San Juanico makes my fillings hurt...I like the road from Mulege over the Sierra much more...longer, more scenic, and easier on the hula girl.)

3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #52
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Here's my Tacoma Access cab 4wd, loaded with a 16' raft and 14' raft including 2 frames 120qt coolers 4 dryboxes, oars ect. If I had a trailer I could have had 3 rafts. I do agree though go for the long bed. The only thing I would change is I would have got the Double Cab with the long bed its nice to be able to carry passengers on the shuttle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	4065  

Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #53
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
You may already have your truck, but I put 140K miles on an 01 tac 4x4 and it got average 22 up to 24 mpg. I now have a 04 tac 4door, 4x4 it gets 18 and 19 mpg. Both had toppers w racks. I miss the mpg and the manual, but I can't believe anyone is complaining about the lack of V 6 power. There is a lot more power w/ v-6 but kiss mileage goodbye, but the 4 cyl could really struggle on long mtn grades such as east bound Vail pass 50ish at 4000rpm. 6 cyl no problem. bottom line mileage versus power, good luck
riverlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #54
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Yo... This thread got me thinking and I just loaded a post onto the Colorado Kayak Supply blog. Long live those 'Yoda Tacos!

A long lost lover

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #55
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Thats awesome!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #56
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post
There is an epidemic of Tacoma's in the Fort right now....lifted,fancy wheels,winches etc.....but they all usually have one thing in common;the short(er) bed. wth. Am i the only one that thinks you probably don't need a truck if you want a bed thats SO small. The cargo capacity is ridiculous. Get a 6ft bed and stop trying to look cute & sporty!
In regard to the shorter 5' bed is worthless, I couldn't disagree more. Having owned Toyota trucks for over 20 years, I have gone from 7' bed to 6' bed to now 5'. The reason four doors. The rest of the world had them long before the US. They are called a Hilux and are pretty standard in the Astralian outback. Cargo wise not much of an issue. It is more effort to sleep, but I wouldn't go back to an extra cab. W/ the 4door you can comfortably sit 4 adults with boats on the roof and still have enough room for camping and boating gear. Of course if money and size is no issue, they now offer the 6', 4door models. (sidenote, pre Tacoma engines are smaller, Tacoma 4 cyl has same HP as the pre Tacoma V-6)

riverlyons is offline   Reply With Quote