Old 05-01-2011   #1
Bootjack (in the Sierra--not "Sierras"), California
Towing with Minivan::help/advice needed

I know. This could get to be a flame fest. Our trusted subi took a fatal drive the other day and our dream vehicles are just not practical for those 5% times. Does anyone have any REAL experience with towing a utility trailer with either a mid-00's vintage Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna? My (ah-hem father-in-laws) trailer is a welded steel job that is close to around 4x8 or so. Not too big.

I need info in case someone had the same call to make when buying a vehicle.

And, yes, I know that a minivan says "lame", but I think it says overthrow the SUV paradigm.

We'd likely be towing a 14'er and box and cooler, etc. For now once or twice a year until the girls get to be bigger.

lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #2
San Antonio, Texas
Paddling Since: 1973
We have a '99 Odyssey (150,000 miles) and it tows our canoe/kayak trailer without any problems. The trailer weighs only about 500 lbs. and we probably haven't loaded it down with more than about another 400 lbs. or so. Have carried two tandem canoes, a cataraft frame, and a deflated 14' raft on the trailer, with the cataraft tubes, dry box, cooler, and gear in the van with two of us, going down the Interstate at 75-80 mph without it feeling like it was straining. I keep wanting to get rid of the van, but it keeps doing everything I want it to do (except for having higher ground clearance). Have shuttled nine people with nine kayaks on the trailer for a short distance. Other than ground clearance and the lack of all-wheel drive, the Odyssey has everything I ever need. Except, of course, the coolness factor.

HJAIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #3
Goshen, New York
I used to tow a motorcycle with a sebring convertible. You'll be fine.
rebel1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #4
The Bitterroot, Montana
No need to knock the minivan yo! They is what the true thugs drive fo sho dawg. Before I bought a house I lived out of a Nissan Quest from the time I was 17 to 25. My friends named it "couger bait" because of the sheer number of sexually starved soccer moms that seemed to flock to it. Actually it became so well known around climbing areas of the western U.S. that a few people I didn't know would know the name of my minivan. I towed a jeep with it once. I bottomed that sure footed beast out more times than I can count and it kept a runnin' strong. One time I followed John "vermin" Shermin up to shuteye ridge in cali. About an hour later a 4 wheeeeelin red neck stoped just to see who drove Ol' Couger Bait up all them rocks and mud. Mini van power yo!!! Rock it with pride.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #5
The Bitterroot, Montana
P.S. where the hell is bootjack? I've spent much time in the Range of Light and never heard of it.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #6
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
I can honestly reccomend an astro/safari van. Its actually a truck chassis & truck engine (vortec v6), awd. Towed my light trailer no problem.

Pulled out the middle seat for gear & people hauling, both seats fot camping in it. It was great.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #7
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I pull my 14'er with an '01 Civic without problem. Yeah, it's slow over the passes and you don't want to back down any steep ramps, but it get the job done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	civic tow raft.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	3576  
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #8
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
We (my wife LOL) have a 2004 Honda Oddessey, and it pulls our 14 foot raft on a utility trailer without any problems. I've had quite a bit of stuff in the raft during the haul too, although I tend to put a lot of it in the back during the haul (can't get it on and off the trailer fully loaded anyway).

It's not as cool as pulling it with my Mustang GT convertible, but it gets us there (and back).
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #9
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I used to hate the idea of a minivan- that was until I discovered I could sleep two full size adults in it quite comfortably. I know the 20 yr olds are secretly coveting the fact that I never have to sleep in a tent unless I want to.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #10
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I have a Sienna 06' AWD

Don't knock the minivan until you have tried it out. We bought one because of the two kids but they are amazing vehicles for lots more people than soccer moms. I tow my pop-up as well as a 10' utility trailer w/ raft with the popup an dhave had very few problems. My only concern would be to try to keep the tongue weight down so that you are not squating down the back end of the vehicle. The trailer hitch mounts below the bumber in the Sienna so it is pretty low to the ground. I have drug the hitch before when going through a steep dip. That only happens with the pop-up which has a pretty hefty tongue weight. The utility trailer works fine. Show me another vehicle out there that can comfortably seat 7 people for shuttle with gear and still sleep two in the back with the seats folded down. Seating for four allows for tons of storage in the trunk space. So it looks like a family car. I'm 38, going bald, carrying a few extra pounds and feeling older by the day. Since when have looks made any difference to me.

boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote