Old 05-05-2011   #1
Too big for Mystic what now?

Been paddling a Mystic for a couple years now and starting to step it up a bit and the fact is I just feel too heavy for my boat. Weigh 230ish, 6'4, I fit in the Mystic but kinda cramped. I love the stability and forgiveness of the boat and soft edge. My head is spinning from all the volume specs. How can a L Solo have a weight range up to 275 and only be 2 gallons more than a Mystic?

I've owned 2 Burns and demoed an Everest and personally have not had good luck at all with them. They paddle really well but the outfitting gives ME trouble and I'm a real boat abuser.

I demoed a Nomad 8.5 and it would be perfect if it was a tad bigger. I just feel more volume is needed to float my weight? Any big guys having luck with the nomad?

Can anyone confirm if a L Solo is bigger in volume than a Nomad? Will it float a 230 pounder and be on TOP of the water?

Going to try to find a Grande to demo this weekend but the lack of edge and high seat position really makes me cautious. I feel like I really rely on my edge to get around the river. I also tend to paddle on my edge and lean into turns and eddies.

loflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I have had a small Nomad 8.1 and currently paddle a Jefe. I tried a Large Fluid Solo in Baker's last year and can say there is no way in H%LL that a L solo is bigger than a Large Nomad. I would say the Solo is smaller than my Jefe and slightly larger than a 8.1 nomad. That said the Big Nomad is one of the better boats out there (IMO) I've seen people run some big shit in these. Personally I think that the L Villan would suit your style and weight range if you want some edge to engage with. The Villian series are LARGE creek boats. I really dont' know the abuse factor of these boats. I would steer you maybe toward the Prijon Hercules if you want a big boat that you can abuse. This model is hard to find and you are probably gonna pay retail or close to it.

My 2 cents, and if you are selling your Mystic PM me.

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #3
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
specs are not only misleading they are often wrong, especially the volume and quite often the weight of the boat. 6'4" 230...Remix 79 was made for those dimensions. Large Villain and the large Pure look right there too, plus Fluid now has a bigger version of the Solo called the 'Big Bang'.
Large Nomad and the Large Solo fit looks to be about the same size. I had the large Nomad and at 185#'s I thought it was the perfect fit for me. It could hold some more but 230 would be pushing it.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #4
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
You sell me your Mystic now, that's what!
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #5
bruceton mills, West Virginia
I have heard rumors of a 'Bigger Mystic' coming out... but I had a friend who was recently in the NZ plant poking around looking for the new mold and was not able to find one... he also said that all of the Bliss-Stick workers were paddling Mystics and that no one was in a 'larger undercover covert version' of the Mystic.

In the meantime - I 2nd the Bing Bang
mwunder424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #6
I've been hearing about a bigger creekboat and playboats for 2 years now. That's really unfortunate news.

loflo is offline   Reply With Quote