Old 04-21-2009   #11
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Liquid NailsŪ - Clear Small Projects Silicone Adhesive (LN-207)

I just used this stuff last night on what I think is an old piece of ethafoam. The glue packaging says it is for foam, and waterproof, although the website doesn't really say that. The glue lady at ACE warned me about a lot of adhesives, that they will melt foam. I found this stuff, and so far this AM it seems to be working, even though I glued into the "open" side, since that's what originally had adhesive on it. This is a piece I pulled off a cooler that we got with a used boat setup, the piece already glued to it. I think it's ethafoam, but I'm not 100% sure.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #12
Groveland, California
This is my first experience with ethafoam, and if I had seen it before, I might have looked for something different. I was suprised at how hard it is, doesn't seem like it will be all that comfortable, but I own it now so it is going on.

What about minicell foam, it is used for canoe outfitting? It might not be as durable, but it sure would be more comfortable if planning on using it for a seat (which I am.)

I have some solvent based contact cement that I had planned on using, but didn't think about it melting the foam??? I'll have to try a spot first. Planned on having this done days ago, but I spent too much time outside playing instead of working on the boat......

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #13
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
Minecell should be softer. I would double check as there are different "grades" of minicell. All my cboat converts use this and I find it quite cozy.
Now, if I can get my leg to stop falling asleep..

Contact cement is toluene based. What you need to do is apply a coat to both surfaces allow it to dry, ~ 10 min or so pending temperature. Then apply a second coat to both surfaces, again, let it dry ~ 10 min or until not tacky. The fun part is laying your foam on, its more or less a one shot deal in most cases, sometimes you can get away with peeling it back up, weight it down and leave for 24 hrs. I use Weldwood C.cement and it has worked pretty well. Just make sure you really work the glue into the foam. The solvent shouldn't destroy the cooler, leave it right side up, or else it will. The fumes need to escape through the foam. Many canoes have been destroyed by flipping them upside down to allow pads to dry.

A wealth of links and info for you : - C1 B1!

Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote