Old 03-23-2010   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Time for new shoes

I've been in the same river shoes for far too long and it's time to replace them.

I've read good reviews on the 5.10 Canyoneer. Where can I go try them on locally?

What else should I look at? I want a boot with good traction, that is good and comfortable for all my scouting/portaging and won't get lost the first time I swim.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #2

I prefer the Chuck Taylor All-Star.

lama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

Pretty good experiences with those 5.10 canyoneers the past couple seasons. Little big and ridgid for in and out of the boat but great out of it.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I think the 5.10 canyoneers are the best full boot on the market considering how good the traction of the rubber is. I've used mine last season and was very happy with them. Major improvement from a series of weak shoes that I looked at that were made by boating companies.

Canyoneers have a beefy sole which is great for scrambling on sharp rocks. The rubber stickiness on wet rock is top notch. You can friction climb up slick smooth wet rock. Got good ankle protection too. All around great boot.

The downsides of the canyoneer are the size. They can be hard to fit in a boat depending on foot size and bow space. Also, 5.10 will tell you to order a size up. The boots run a tad small, and when you wear them with a wool socks and drysuit bootie you need a bit more room. I normally wear an 11, but got a size 12 in the canyoneers. In hindsight, I wish I had the 11.5's. They would be a bit smaller in the boat, and I could likely fit in them fine. I have a nick of extra room in the 12s. My take would be order a 1/2 size up.

I had to trim off some bulkhead parts to fit the 12's in a large nomad. They fit fine in a jefe grande with no modification. They also fit ok in prijon boats with no center pillar. Suspect they would be fine in the big jackson creekers too.

You are more than welcome to try on / check out my size 12's if you want. Don't think anyone in the area carries them that I know of. I ordered off the internet. I rented a pair to hike the zion narrows several years ago and was blown away by how much they helped scrambling on wet river rock for 16 miles.

Also, I'd consider the savant too. Its the same sole as the canyoneer but more like a tennis shoe, without the upper.

People laugh when the see the "clown shoes", but that generally subsides when they see how well they stick on wet rock.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #5
gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
I have seen the 510 boots absolutely destroy some feet, I definitely like the Merrell's, they are more of a shoe then a boot but deal with the conditions great.
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #6
Professional Transient, See above.
I also love the 5.10 canyoneer shoes.

I found for sizing that they seem super similar to the sizing of all other 5.10 non-climbing shoes. Try to find a climbing/outdoor shop that has their tennis shoes or approach shoes. When I did this I was able to get a pretty good idea of what size I needed. I added 1/2 size for wool socks and excess material for my dry suit booties (I have a small foot and lots of extra material around my foot from the dry suit booty). Fits great.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #7
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I've used 5.10 canyoneer shoes for 2 years for canyoneering, never thought about using it for whitewater. I will give it a shot this year.

5.10 are one of the stickiest shoes out there, great for wet rocks and traction. They are bulky for sure, but neoprene keeps your feet warm in wet conditions.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Are the Merrells the same size as a tennis shoe or more streamlined?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #9
dropzone, Colorado
I had the 5.10 savants (still do). The sole is money in terms of support and traction, but the uppers are junk. They shredded/ripped way too easily.

I've since gone to the teva gnar. It is a skate shoe type of last, and I find it really comfortable, supportive, and the soles are grippy (although can wear somewhat fast). IF you can fit them in your boat, they are great and not as expensive as the 5.10 options.

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote