Old 03-20-2012   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Thoughts on the Mamba

So Im looking at buying my first Kayak. I have a history of using borrowed boats and not being able to make up my mind on what exactly I want. Looking for a boat that will do it all. Im not much of a playboater but do try to surf occasionally. The mamba sounds like a small creeker/large river runner which is the line im interested in right now. Any one have any thoughts or experience with the boat?

jesse711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

We are almost the same build and I've been boating for years, not really a playboater either, just the occasional surf. I would strongly recommend a Medium Fluid Solo. This boat allows me to do everything I desire, self-support, river running, an occasional surf, great for tight technical lines, bigger water and just simply an awesome all-around 1-boat boat. I did a write up a year or so ago for CKS, they may still have that on file. You may be able to find a used one or a new one at a local shop. Fluid has now upgraded the Solo with the Bazooka. No personal first-hand experience with the Bazooka, but without questions, the Solo is a solid 1-boat choice. Here are a couple of links.

Hope this helps, Lenny.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #3
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
The mamba is a great boat! However, I traded my mamba for a hero. Now if I had to paddle a lot of slow water, I would have stuck with the mamba. But, most of what I float has a good flow to it..
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Hey Jesse, GearDog is right on the money. Fluid's Solo is a standout kayak that can do just about everything. It's also super solidly built and will last a lifetime. Fluid is offering a Bazooka this season which is also an incredible kayak. Either choice is a wise one
To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #5
Columbus, Indiana
My wife has a mamba, and she loves it. It's forgiving, and just a nice all around boat. Soft edges and a semi-planing hull. So it'll surf ok, and youc an river run and creek in it. Just a nice all around boat.

The Pyranha burn would be my personal choice if I could have only 1. It'll creek, river run, and surf. It's kind of like the Mamba. The mamba has less defined rails and is going to be slightly more forgiving, but won't have quite as much edge available as the burn does.

You might also look into a LL remix. Lots of people doing some creeking in them, and they are great river runners as well. Or if you want something more on the creek end of the spectrum, you could look at a stomper.....but it's not going to surf as well.

A wavesport diesel might also be a good one to look at. Pretty good for river running/surfing. It's not going to creek as well as the burn/mamba/stomper, though.

I'd try out all of those if I were you to figure out what you like best.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #6
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I prefer to Salsa simply cause I never learned the Mamba.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Lots of good advice to think about, thanks for the feedback.

jesse711 is offline   Reply With Quote