Old 02-27-2006   #1
Boulder, CO Paddling Since: 2005
Thoughts on Necky Jive?

Hey there - I am a Class III boater that was on a demo Necky Bliss boat for my first two years. I had to give it back, but now have a chance to use a Necky Jive for the summer. Is this a good play boat? I have heard that it is fun to play and roll in - Will mainly use on the Eagle and Shoshone this summer and want to develop my $hitty playing skills -

Thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated -

Billygco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #2
Yo, the first brand new boat I had was a Jive. I had many great days on the rio in that boat. At the time when the boat came out, it was considered to be a play boat, but as designs progressed-just like the volkl snow ranger, the boat began to loose its apeal. Really, it's more like a river boat now-comfortable, predictable, good for big water. For steep waves, the 8,4" necky hull is simply too fast and pearling is an issue. But for a cheap, all around river boat, it's a good one. If you want to progress in the world of play boating though, get something shorter.

otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #3
Boulder, CO Paddling Since: 2005
Some other boaters mentioned that it is fast as hell and great for big water also, but hard to play in. I'll look at some other play options in the meantime -

Thanks for the feedback -
Billygco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #4
good big river scout boat, not a good playboat.
sage_guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #5
The Jive is a classic, it was the best, and least hyped...

boat at the 1997 freestyle worlds, but no where near cutting edge for play these days. Kiwi, Kenny Mutton medalled in one.
It is still a great river runner.
Really depends what you're looking for
John Mason
Mountain Surf
surfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #6
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Jive and play

the Jive 8'10" is a great boat to keep in your quivver so that when you head off to run something unfamiliar, you have a safe & stable platform to be in your comfort range with.
advice given to you to get in a shorter boat will help your play skills

the Necky Gliss 7'11" is probably right up your alley for a better boat to replace the Jive with

getting in any and all new boats will help your boating considerably by exposing you to new designs and new ways of thinking in your boat

when the situation is safe and when you are ready, try as many boats as you can
this will help to diversify your paddling skills and help show you where your weaknesses may be so that you can hone skills better.

from the necky line: consider the chronic ( a great downriver play boat) , the mission and look to something sub 8' long for starters, keeping in mind that most new play boats are 6' 8" or so.
I hope that helps.
Stay healthy- keep surfing.
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #7
All depends on your definition of play. in the park throwing ends and loops is not what this boat is good for, but down river play like eddy sqirts, enders, boofs and side surfing (kinda oldschool but still very fun) it does great.

keep the soul in kayaking and go down river. for that you need a downriver boat not a play boat.

later, tater

onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote