Old 02-03-2011   #1
Red Deer, Alberta
Paddling Since: 1979
The bathroom

We have always, when required, bagged and ammo canned our business off the river. Our next trip we have 6 people going for 2 weeks and in the past we have only had 3-4 people for three weeks(GC trips) and it wasn't to much hassle to handle the volume. We are considering taking some sort of system with us this trip and was wondering if the old school bag and pack system is goood enough, or if the chemical system is worth it?

I have and can research the different systems, so I just want to know, based on experience using both, if it is worth it or not. This is an Alpine trip, so we eat alot heartier meals than a fair weather trip,lol

Riverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Just get more ammo cans. A lot of agencies make you have the liners with the sewer fittings, but I'm not sure about GC specifically.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #3
Red Deer, Alberta
This trip is on the Tatshenshini
Old 02-04-2011   #4
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Do you guys have the Scat machines there? If so, just build a spare seat onto a rocket box lid, and do your (dry) business straight into the box.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #5
Red Deer, Alberta
We can rent a Scat. We normally have a lawnchair type seat that holds. a white kitchen bagWhen we are ready to pack up, you grab the bag and squeeze all the air out so it doesn't take up much room in the rocket box. We just bought new aluminum dry boxes for both boats and do not use the rocket box set-up. If we brought a couple they will be packed away in the back. The Scat system seems bulky, so I don't know which one will take up more room. I hate having to take it out with us, but rules are rules
Old 02-04-2011   #6
frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
a scat machine is a contraption about the size of an adolescent male elephant (if you cut his legs and head off) that is located neer some take outs at various rivers. It is like a giant dish washer. You poop directly into your ammo can, then insert it into the scat machine using the provided straps. Insert the required amount of money, you should take some $1.00 bills and quarters, shut the lid and press the start button. Your groover should be clean in the time it takes to shotgun 2 beers. I do not know if there is one close to the Tat.
full yellow life jacket
bob larrabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #7
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980

The garbage bag thing hasn't been legal on US rivers for a long time. I'm sure some of the former guides here remember hucking garbage bags full of crap into takeout dumpsters. Nasty.

A few places allow the WAG Bag (which is basically a garbage bag) system, but you have to check.

Good luck.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #8
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
bagging without treating is illegal in most jurisdictions in the US now. They allow the use of WAGG or PETT system on some rivers. These products are a plastic bag but has something to aid composting.

Other than that RV dumps, scat machines and such must be used.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote