Old 01-24-2011   #21
prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
as is says in the description: "The bottom is built like a cargo floor with heavy D-rings."

it is suspended off the floor (self-bailer or bucket).

you rig it like any load: heavy ugly stuff on the bottom, lighter and soft stuff on top, layer upon layer.
every rig is different, depending on the trip.

86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #22
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I can vouch for Ray's E-bag (Tuff River). I have one and love it. I also have one of his drop bags. I use the E-bag to hold lots of random stuff, like the piles of drybags and empty liquor bottles.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #23
Jenks, Oklahoma
River Rat Ray at Tuff River Stuff made a custom fit everything bag for me.

It holds a bunch of gear bags and there is room at the bottom for stuff like fire pans etc.

Ray does good work. Instead of running straps every where I just stand on the seat and pull the hoopie straps down tight to close the bag and tie off to the back of the seat. It is super fast and my guess is about as secure a setup as you will find.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #24
Beaverton, Oregon
A couple of points on the art:
  1. Always rig for flip
  2. Minimize the chance to entanglement
  3. Tie up your loose ends with daisy chains
  4. Consider painting the cam buckles something other than the red I use.
  5. Heavy stuff goes in the bottom
  6. Squishy stuff on top, for sunning areas and dog couches
  7. Build your table to act as a lid to your drop bag
  8. Pay attention to the balance

Below is how my frame is currently organized, just for reference. I have a four + one bay frame on a 16'. The front drop is on a daughter frame that is allowed to flex. There isn't a formula for these things; play around with it until you get to something happy.

Old 01-24-2011   #25
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991

Loading up the shit show. Front table gets another dry bag or two. The box I have open is the seat box. The cooler gets a dry bag on either side or on top or.....

You can see how much space is up front for my not small ass. Yes I have a dive mask on. I was looking for straps OK? My daughter is standing on one of the captains boxes. There is as much space in the stern as in the front and people can enter exit both ends with ease.

Room for two to row.

To the left and right in front out of frame two large Bill's bags. Back right you can see water jug and Groover?? I usually try to separate those a bit.

The pelican usually gets a spare LJ over it to save on the knuckles. This was in a pretty mellow section. Bella is not ready for class 4 yet. The small rockets behind her - one is my metal purse the other is the ash can. People love to carry ashes. I don't. A small one works well. Just put the ash in the garbage if you run out of space. Reburn your ash, it helps.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #26
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Nice pics! I know what I'll be doing for the second part of the winter. Putting gear in my rig in the garage and seeing where I like what. I think I'll invest in an everything bag at some point.
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #27
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I love the winter rigging fest in the garage. Beer never gets warm and girlfriend never comes out. I think you guys are a little early. Never feed the river jones till late February. Too long a wait.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #28
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Keep the groover accessible and, if possible, leave a spot to load it last.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #29
Beaverton, Oregon
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I love the winter rigging fest in the garage. Beer never gets warm and girlfriend never comes out. I think you guys are a little early. Never feed the river jones till late February. Too long a wait.
I second that motion. This is a totally bomber way to get some quality time in the man cave. My raft lives in the garage (the truck will deal) and it's where I go when I need some quality tinkering time. The GF cracks the door once in a while, but she lets me be with my project time.
Old 01-25-2011   #30
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
... try to load your boat where it is just a tad bit front-heavy.
As the days go by, the load will change unless you have a way to adjust. If your cooler is up front, the front will get lighter as the beer (and other cold stuff LOL) is consumed. Same with water and firewood.

That being said, is it then best to put the cooler in back (under the seat or as the seat)? Then the front will only get relatively heavier, so maybe trim to a bit more neutral in the beginning?

I have a 14 footer and 4 bay too, and am about to buy a new cooler and kitchen box. I was contemplating trying to get them to be roughly the same size so they would be interchangeable. That way, they could be moved front to back as the consumables are used up, maintaing some sort of load balance that way. Not so easy to do with standard kitchen box sizes, so I am probably going to ditch that idea and just pick one rigging over the other and forget about it...

The problem I have with the cooler being under my seat is that my wife wants into it every five minutes. Once for a beer. Again for a snack. Again for the kids' snack. Then they want a juice box. Those with kids know what I am talking about... LOL I also don't like the idea of the sharp corners on the dry box up front where the kids are crawling around all day long, but I think the cooler in back, kitchen box up front is the best option. ?

I am thinking of one of those captains box cooler things from NRS as a day cooler that I can transfer a few things into for them. Does anyone use those or something similar? Or am I the only one with a wife that can't stay out of the cooler? LOL

Not sure where things will go once I get the new stuff, but for now, I have drop bags for all three compartments, so my fire pan goes in one of them pretty nicely, with other stuff on top (PETT system and some chairs for example).

I also use a couple of rocket boxes. One for charcoal (and the ashes eventually), the other usually holds misc stuff like keys, wallets, phones, toilet paper, etc. I made some small wooden platforms to strap to the frame corners that create a better mounting platform for them, which also will allow me to add to the two for longer trips (four instead of two).

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote