Old 03-22-2012   #1
Teva Cherry Bomb 2

I'm in need of some new booties and I can't decide on which shoes to throw down on and watch explode off my feet this paddling season. I have a pair of Keen Shitbirds (low top water shoe I don't remember the name of) that are falling apart after one season and before that I had a pair of the old cherry bombs. The sole fell apart in about 5 days worth of paddling. Do I dare try the new and improved Cherry Bomb 2? Has anyone tried the Sperry son-r boot? Or the ever so fashionable Adidas climacool boat lace shoe? What is the problem with shoe companies now days, I had a pair of 5.10 water booties that lasted like 5-6 years of abuse! Sure I wore them down to the nub, but my god, why can't companies build them like they used too?

Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #2
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
So why aren't you buying from 5.10?

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #3
Some of the threads on the buzz regarding different booties have revealed that some people are having issues with the 5.10 shoes. The canyoneer is a bit bulky for my taste and the water tennie seams to fall apart (had a bro ha that had his explode after about 20-30 days). So I am trying to see what peoples experiences are now.
Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #4
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Keen Gorge Booty. Works great on the Slick Granite on the Green Narrows. Best booties I have had so far.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #5
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

The SAR Bootie from 5.10 is smaller than the Canyoneer and still similar in build and performance.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I've been using 5.10 for quite sometime now and am super stoked on them. I use the Savants which have the awesome sticky rubber 5.10's known for and they have a partial mesh upper so they drain quickly. I've hiked into many over-nighters with these shoes and they're reliable. The soul is pretty beefy and the padding really comfortable so hiking into Cherry or other long distance runs is manageable. With all shoes, it's not a question of if but when will they'll blow out. Start putting that shoe into water all the time which degrades the material strength and now it's a question of design and materials. 5.10's making the best that I've found so far. It's not that they won't blow out, it's that they last longer than others. I have both the Water Tennie and the Savants. My Water Tennies are for daily creeking missions where portaging is a reality but they aren't very long. The Savants are for multi-day trips where they're significant approaches and/or portages during the trip. I also use the Savants when I'm teaching or guiding because I like the beefier feel.
To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #7
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a pair of Son-Rs I can sell, I mean let someone else try. I went back to my Keen Gorge booties, which are still holding well after 150+ days. One of my paddling buddies has the Bomb 2s and likes them.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote