Old 04-23-2013   #21
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
A tent rule.

No mater how large the tent is.
Three people is always crowded.
Put the kids in a three or four person facility.

Two people is not crowded if there are two doors, plenty of side space for gear and a walk in closet for her.

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #22
San Francisco, California
Before you take the plunge, I would give REI Kingdom a serious look. I've owned and used many types of tents, but, the design of REI Kingdom is unbeatable for family camping. I had the 6, but ended up exchanging it for the 8 for just a little more weight. Easy set up, incredible amount of room, and the add-on garage makes it a true expedition grade camp. As mentioned earlier, the tent itself has mesh windows on all sides, but the fly can hang rolled up, and when you go to sleep, you can drop it down. It's really the best of the both worlds. Because of mesh design, the tent stays very cool even during hot summer days, and if you know there won't be rain, you can sleep under the stars without bugs eating you.

I own 1 person, 3 person, tent for different occasions, but, I always end up packing the massive 8 for creature comfort even with 2 people in the party.

verendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #23
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
During the last Cataract trip we got hit with a huge thunder storm, out of nowhere the winds came up to 40mph gust. My buddy had his Kingdom put down and staked with just a few stakes. Well, we spent about 30 minutes chasing that balloon around the beach and then took about 5 of us to hold it down to stake it and guy line it. After all that, it just folded on itself.

It might be a good tent in the store, but I was quite disappointed in the Kingdom tent. Plus the mesh on both sides forces you to put a fly up to get any privacy.
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #24
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Nearly every tent we own has a poled vestibule. I find they are critical when more than one person uses the tent, or if there are dogs. They add so much space, for wet gear, or even to open the door and make the tent bigger if you are bivouacking in the rain. I wouldn't want the funky vestibules or garages like on the Kingdom though, that's over the top of stuff for me to deal with, but we don't have kids. Our only tent that doesn't have this is our smallest tent for single person use and we wanted lightweight, but not ultra (just me on my cat or just him on his MC). Our big tent is the REI Basecamp. So far I really like it, but wish it didn't have the mesh panels down low. Other than those, there'd be a decent amount of privacy, balanced with lots of mesh. This style of tent is tried and true, with double crossing dome poles and a single poled vestibule leaning out from the base of the tent. We have 2 walrus's like this and now the REI. Love the design.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #25
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #26
don't bogart that
Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Mountian Safety Research

I have gone to exclusively MSR tents. They are 60 mph wind tunnel tested, the have a great warranty. That is stood behind and quick turnarounds on repairs. I have seen the MSR wing take amazing abuse and pull through like a champ. They are not built for cots nor people with problems getting up and down but if you want a tent that will go to hell and back and keep you warm and dry take a look at MSR.
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #27
The next zone, .
I went to a Tipi from TiGoat. Small packable and works in the winter for sled access overnights. Love the fact that it can be used with or with out a wood burning stove. It will stand up to feet of snow or 50+mph winds no problem.

Might not be what you are looking for as there is no floor but I have not found a better set up for what I do and worth looking into.

TiGoat Vertex Tents

"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #28
Riverton, Utah
I just bought a Cabela's 4 person Warthog to replace my old tent. Haven't camped in it yet, but liked the looks of it so went with it at the recommendation of a couple of other people that own one.

DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #29
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
MSR specializes in ultra light or bomb proof 4 season.
I see they have a 'barn' out now but the car camping world hasn't been their area of expertise.

Right now I'm fixing a MSR Hubba Hubba and it is a great backpacking tent. Its a birthday gift for a nephew in Americorps. Torn Rainfly repair and better stakes plus making a footprint. Paid in the low 60's at a REI garage sale and by the time I include a garage sale bivi with no repair he'll get a $110 gift worth well over double.

MSR makes great products. I'm impressed with the Hubba Hubba line. They are still making them with minor mods because they are so good.

But they're not strong on creature comforts. Tight and light.

Their tent stakes are worth getting as your standard stakes.
Most everyone puts weak and light tent stakes out with their tents and you need to upgrade.

I prefer these MSR stakes as a basic plus a couple actual pieces of rebar with welded loops.

REI has a lighter similar product.

Think sale.
Quality tent stakes are surprisingly expensive.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #30
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
My tent is the outdated model of this, Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL Tent: 4-Person 3-Season | I like that in heavy winds there are lots of spots to attach guidelines. Two doors and vestibules. We often sleep three people in the tent with the dog under the vestibule and always have plenty of room.

On a particularly cold Thanksgiving trip we setup a table on an action packer and four of us ate turkey with all the fixin's around it then played a few card games...

Warm weather trips, I ditch the tent and sleep on a paco or on a cot under a Kelty Noah Tarp.

I would really love a teepee, for our bad weather community space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OLI.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	6088  

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote