Old 02-10-2012   #11
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I've read there was a period of time when Lendal was owned by Johnson outdoors that the shaft was breaking at the joint with the blade, I've also read that this problem is now a thing of the past. Trust my info with suspicion as I don't remember where I read it.
Yes, Lendal's carbon Fiber shafts can/or do come with their "Switch Lock" system that adjusts the feather anywhere between 0 and 75 degrees. It is a Awesome travel paddle, although they are spendy, if you are a well traveled paddler you'll save big time on airline oversize charges when compared to a one piece paddle.

pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #12
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Any feed back on the Aqua Bound Carbon Breakdowns? I have a pro-form lying around and have been thinking about buying one. Seeing as in my life, I have needed a breakdown three times. All I need is something that is good enough to get me out of the meat. Would rather not spend $300 on something that will live in the back of more boats than times needed.

Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #13
Professional Transient, See above.
I contacted one of the Euro's I remember that had the paddle I'm talking about (ah, facebook). Here is his response:

"hi, it 's a SELECT, that's a french brand , very expensive but I still have it cheers"

I don't know much about them. I picked it up for 5 minutes on the river while we were all warming up and it felt nice to me. Don't recall anything about blade design, creeker vs. playboat paddle, or all of that jazz. I'd love to know more about them.

Jmack- your offer is tempting! I will definitely keep that in mind as one of my blades looks unhappy and this one is only a little over a year old.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #14
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Pizzle, that is the breakdown that I have had for 5 years and it is still as solid as the day I bought it. I've even used it as a shovel to dig my truck out of a snow bank
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #15
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I own a 2 aquabounds. 1 is a standard shred, the other is the 4 piece breakdown. I bought them together (at no charge for 0 offset) for a total of ~250. Easily the cheapest actual whitewater paddles you can purchase. The 1piece paddle had a blade fall off while peeling out the first week I paddled with it. Aquabound replaced it but I had to pay shipping one way. Other than that for 1 season of full on hammering and another short season of hammering it's held up just fine.

That said they feel cheap, the 4 piece has lots of play and if I had money to buy a better setup I would. I will probably try to keep purchasing paddles and breakdowns of the same brand/model so when shit happens I don't have to think about the gear when I swap for the breakdown.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #16
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I am not a fan of Select. I was briefly sponsored by Select Paddles, but dropped it due to the paddle having no power. I get more power hand paddling than I did shaft paddling with a Select. I would not waste my money either get a Lendal, or something similar or pick up some hand paddles Peak-Performance Hand-Paddles's Photos | Facebook
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #17
Professional Transient, See above.
FSM- bummer about no power. I liked how the shaft assembly felt solid after repeated use on a a breakdown paddle.

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote