Old 08-19-2013   #1
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Tandem IKs

Thanks for all the feedback, folks, very helpful. There are happy SE people out there!

I'm getting close -- it's between the Aire Tomcat Tandem and the Zoik AlterEgo SE. Leaning toward the Zoik although the Tomcat is so popular and Aire so regarded. The Zoik is lighter, comes with removable skeg and less expensive ... and American made.

Anyone with feedback on the Zoik IK?

Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #2
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Zoik description says designed with the flat water paddler in mid (shores of mountain lakes), but I think you said something about class III (IV?) -- sorry if my memory is wrong, i did not go back and review your previopus thread.

I have no experience with ZOIK, but based on that description alone, I would hesitate -- see what others have to say, perhaps those with experience with that ZOIK.

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #3
Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
From my research, Zoik is rated up to class 3 rapids. Tomcat is rated for class 4. Guess it depends on how big you will be running. If you get the Tomcat and want to run bigger stuff later it will do it. Might be limited later with Zoik.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #4
cedar city, Utah
Tough one as I know Zoik cares about their customers and its nice to support the cottage industries that are trying to add some diversity to the playing field.

Differences I see:

Warranty: Tomcat 1; Zoik 3
Valves: Zoik requires $50 for Leafield Upgrade
Zoik is significantly lighter
Bow rise is more than inch higher the tubes are slightly large on the Aire.

Are the Zoik rigs really made in the US? I know they are headquartered out Colorado but I was under the assumption their boats were manufactured in Asia.

That warranty and weight difference might sway me if I was looking into boats right now considering both are entry level crafts that would need to be upgraded down the road if seeking greater challenges. That coming from an owner of several Aire products.

restrac2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #5
cedar city, Utah
PS....I know first hand that Zoik products were designed to be diverse enough to run both flatwater and Class III....
restrac2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #6
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
It seems to be a bit of a wash. I can tell you that the Tomcat II is a pig to paddle on flat water, so if that is something you want to do a lot of I might lean towards the Zoik. Another big factor for me would be the bailing holes. Make sure the Zoik's can empty the boat quickly.

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #7
Very different boats, IMO. Better comparison would be the Tomcat vs. the Zoik RFII.

The AlterEgo is supposed to be able to run whitewater too, but it's really aimed at more flatwater applications. The seats have your center of gravity really high - I think it would be prone to flipping. I don't have firsthand experience - just that I was looking at the Zoik offerings. I already have a Tomcat in the quiver. It's a good boat. Don't worry about the 1 year warranty - I bought mine used, have had it for 3 or 4 years now, no problems.

Let us know which you get, and report back!
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #8
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
OK, dropped by the Aire factory/Idaho River Sports nearby in Meridian, ID. I think we have our decision -- the Aire Outfitter II. It's a lot of money but it's a great combo for what we want, especially with the removable skeg option for flat water. The weight capacity and stability along with the suitability to run class IV if we ever get there are just a great mix for us. The 10-year no-fault warranty is amazing and the resale if we ever want to get rid of it is excellent. I am also happy to support a local (just a few miles from our home) and made in America business. We're pulling the trigger tomorrow! We are SO excited to start learning, exploring and having fun. Thanks everyone!
Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #9
Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Sounds like a great choice. And be able to run bigger water later if you want. Enjoy! Don't forget good paddling jackets. Not cheap, but worth every cent.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #10
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
whaddup taters, good choice bro. all around, it sounds like the perfect fit for everything you're looking for...
that's a boat your gonna enjoy for alot of years!! good luck man! remember it's all about how much fun you can have out there!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote