Old 08-20-2013   #11
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
In The Club!

Went back to Idaho River Sports/Aire factory this morning with my partner, Sharon (she tried the boat on for size), and we picked up the Outfitter II with Cheetahs and other assorted goodies. Will be in the water this week! Planning on lesson(s) in the rivre. Thanks again for all your input.

Do I REALLY need an electric pump for 2.5 psi? The K-Pump seems so easy .... Idaho River Sports will give us a discount on accessories since we bought their boat so we'll go to the Boise store for rest of stuff: helmets, PFDs, watertight bag, thigh straps. Checking into foot pegs and/or blocks. Thoughts and what else am I missing?

Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #12
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
Good choice on the boat!

I have an LVM electric pump and I would not trade for anything. I consider an electric pump essential, but for $20 you can get a lot cheaper matress pump that will get the job done. Then you just top off with the K-pump.

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #13
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
You don't need an electric pump for a ducky, but it's worth it. I just use a coleman mattress pump (the plug-in ones blow harder than the battery ones) with an inverter and run it from my car or marine battery. I use a K100 to top off and it's small and easy to pack on the boat. This is how all my boats are inflated, no matter what size.

Congrats on the new toy, you picked a good one!
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #14
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Get a few 4 and 6 foot straps for carrying gear -- I love all the loops for this on the Aire IKs. You will want some longer starps if you are going to rooftop the inflated IK. You can never have too mant straps!
I use caribiners all the time, for example, to attach a water bottle to a strap (I don't trust the drink holder on the back of the seat by itself to hold a bottle in rough water or overturned).
Best way to see if you "need" an electric pump is to not get one and see how you feel w/o it. Because I have garage space, once I inflate an IK for the season, I leave it inflated and only use a k-pump (I do have an electric pump that is handy for full inflation -- but I also have larger inflatables that make it even more handy!). Oh, I actually keep my Aire IKs inflated all winter, so they haven't seen an electric in years!
I also have an inexpensive 4-piece spare paddle that I bring along for safety, but actually have never had to use it.
That boat should rock! I saw a couple of them producing great fun on the Main Salmon a few weeks ago.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #15
Boise, Idaho
Picked up the Coleman rechargeable and it is working great. I also have the K100 to top off and carry. Have a 12-volt backup, too. Also got the buckle-in Aire stern dry bag and Aire thigh straps. The Outfitter II is so easy to get ready and pack away. Stoked.
Old 08-27-2013   #16
Boise, Idaho
We took our maiden run -- for the boat and us -- true newbies -- on the lower Main Payette yesterday and it was such a success! First, we had fun and then we learned a great deal from an instructor with Cascade Raft in Horseshoe Bend, ID. After covering basics in paddling and safety we practiced in and out of eddies and went through several class I's. There was one class I with a few bigger waves and finally a class II with more big waves and troughs. The star was the Aire Outfitter II -- it performed brilliantly. Even when we got cross-ways in the class II and assumed a passive balance position the boat carried over what seemed to be a couple big waves until the river relinquished control back to us. The boat bails amazingly, is so stable and easy to set up and put away. We have a lot of practice, work and fun ahead of us! I'm glad that I increased my upper-body workouts earlier this year at the gym. We slept SO well. Thanks, all, for input -- this was THE IK for us!