Old 04-16-2006   #1
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Tall and lean needs boat . . .

I'm 5'11 and around 135 pounds.

I've been kayaking for a year at my college. I'm planning to work on my Class III skills this summer, maybe introducing some Class IVs and I need to find a good boat. I ran the Nantahala and Chattooga this Spring in a GT 7.8, which was a fine boat, but now that I'm looking to purchase something I'd like a river runner/ playboat cross. Something like a Juice, perhaps.

My main interest is in river running, but I want something I can do some minor play in.

My challenge is finding a boat long enough for my legs that's still maneuverable with my light weight.

I'm looking for a boat maybe a year or two old, ideally in the 300-400 price range, although I'd go up to 500 for a great-fitting boat.

I'd appreciate comments.

deerfieldswimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #2
You are on the lighter end of the EZG 50, but try it out... big EZ too.

Dagger Rx 6.7... another new river running playboat
LL CR 150
These two are new this season and wont be available used and cheap

go to a paddle shop, sit in a bunch of boats and see how comfy you can get... then demop them at the playpark
Good Luck

thedude1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #3
Definitely check out the Liquid Logic CR 125. There is no CR150 BTW. They come in a 125 and a 250.

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #4
moving-water test required!

Hey -
I'm 6' and 140#, w/ a 32" inseam - pretty much the same size/shape you are.
I'm in an EZ now, and want out... it's not responsive enough.
Last week at NOC I demo'd both the LiquidLogic CR125, and the RX6.7.
What I found was the CR125 felt better sitting on a flat, but was MUCH harder to surf under control. It wanted to carve no matter what I did, and pushed itself backward off the wave at Surfing Rapid on the Nantahala, repeatedly (about 30-40 tries). The next day I demo'd an RX6.7 at the same place.
I was able to get onto the wave on the first try, and sit happy. One of the instruction-staff there described it by saying, "LiquidLogic boats want to be vertical - Dagger boats want to be horizontal." I don't know if that's true, or fair, but the Dagger boat sure was better for me.
I'm primarily a river-runner, with occasional surfing and spins - hardly any (intentional) vertical moves.
Hope this helps.
you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!
old_guy is offline   Reply With Quote