Old 05-16-2013   #1
behind your mom, Colorado
talk to me about my first playboat...

I'm just getting into play boating and looking for a boat. I've demoed a project X 56 and 64, and an older jackson superstar at the golden play park. I'm 6'1, 210lbs with gear. Looking for a boat mostly for play parks but that I can also run rivers in.

The medium project X felt great but I felt too heavy for it. I sat real low in the water and paddling through the drops I sank up to my chest. The large felt huge to me, the deck was almost at my nipples. I really liked the superstar, really easy to roll it felt a lot longer than both project X's though. I'd like to demo a large Jed to hopefully find a similar boat to the project X but in between the medium and large. Sound right? What about the dagger jitsu? Anywhere in the front range have a demo available?

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #2
Project x 56 is too small for you. Any year Superstar should be a good size boat for you. Try the large Jed and Jitsu if you can find demos.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #3
Boise, Idaho

I'm your size exactly. 64 was too big, 56 was too small, Superstar is just right.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #4
Grand Junction, Colorado
Im 6 foot 215lbs size 12 feet the x 64 does everything i need it to plus river running love it
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I'm 220 with gear and 6'. So far so good with the Project X 64.
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013   #6
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Try the large Pyranha JED out, it's loose and has lots of pop
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #7
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
The older Jackson Star series were awesome for river running and playboating.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013   #8
Same size as you. Try the large Jed, Rockstar, Jitsu, Superstar, Project X 64. I have paddled most if not all of the current crop of play boats and put my thoughts here -
unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #9

I'm a tall, light guy. 6'2, 175lbs, 35" inseam, and size 12 feet. From a weight perspective the medium would be perfect but I wonder if I would be too crammed in it. I sat in one barefoot a few weeks ago and fit, but that was with nothing in the bow. I'd at least want to glue some thin pads in.

Anyhow- anybody else out there with my dimensions who has an opinion?

Medium or large?
mwaldhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #10
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
All in all, just demo a lot. My tastes tend to be normal for playboats; I suck at playboating, so I lean towards lower-volume. For my weight and skill level, the Jackson Star is perfect for me. Most people I've talked to recommend lower volume for beginners, as they are easier to throw around.

Demoing has just confirmed the above for me. In the medium Rockstar, I feel totally outclassed and find it very awkward. I can manage my rolls and such, but I couldn't begin to throw cleans and other beginning-play maneuvers. When I hopped in someone's star at the pool, it was much more natural to me.

Another thing I've heard is 'get uncomfortable'; like, cram yourself in the smallest boat that you can. I don't think that holds true anymore. Boats are a lot comfier now. I am yet to try a small Jitsu and a small Project X, but they both look very cushy.

Demo, demo demo, be patient with your choice and don't let people tell you what boat won't work for you. Go ahead and try it.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote