Old 07-27-2005   #41
As mentioned before, I could let my stubby out to play, but the wife would put up a fight. The EZ, which for good reason, keeps coming up. It is a solid play boat as EJ proved, and can easily be your river runner AND play boat as your skills improve.

So here we have a pretty good quiver for the aspiring boater. An EZ Stubby. Everyone needs one. Or two as we have it here. For less than the price of one modern boat, you could have a boat for every occassion. The stubby for those bigger days and when you haven't had your wheaties. It will surf and spin with the right feature and allow for those skills of yours to catch up to your mouth. When the play park calls and the numbers get too easy for the stubby, (correction- the paddler in the stubby), bust out the EZ and put your big girl panties on cause they will get wet.

In all seriousness, I think this could work for you if your interested. You get everything you are looking for in a boat, it just happens to be two. Cake and... Your aggressive (learning) style will be complimented by being able to do those bigger runs with friends in the stubby (Read-Team Learn First) and hit the plays park solo (Team Take A Beating).

Call me if your interested. I split time in Durango and Steamboat so deliver would be EZ.

PARKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #42
Choosing a boat based on the class of water, more like you should choose a boat based on where you are going to mostly paddle.

You will never out grow a runner/creeker ie: Mamba/Nomad as you get better skills you would be moving up the class levels/hight of drops.

You might wish for something more playful than a Mamba type boat but then you will be taking that beating as you move up to bigger/pushyer water.

A class 3 river at 800cfs is way different than 2500cfs something to think about!!!!

Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #43
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
LMAO @ mike and his "planning hull" blah blah...The Stubby is the greatest boat ever to come out for river running/play period.You can paddle any class of water in the boat and surf and cartwheel to death.So what are you saying about the stubby again..Have you ever paddled the stub?As for your choices on Jacksons-the outfitting sucks-boat is fine if you don't want to leave the park and go kayaking which I'm sure most of the posters do not..As for the ez-fun boat but limited on what can be paddled with it,unless your name is forrest then you'll be fine..

One more thing a post above said "and who wouldn't want to go to the play park once in a while" well to answer that for you-me!

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #44
Forgive me…I tried. I really tried. I swear. I even unplugged the keyboard at one point…but then the coffee caught up with me and I had to start typing.

Uh…wisegirl? Seems like you missed a key bit of irony: namely, that you’re willing to call the shots, make the rules, talk the smack and throw the attitude (all while asking for advice), but when anyone throws any of the same back you can’t hack it. You might want to at least acknowledge when you get hit with a good comeback. There’s a difference between feisty and just plain irritating (although I have to admit, your first few posts on early threads were funny). Perhaps that’s the point Brook was trying to make? And don’t even try to tell me to go look up “irony”, because I know exactly what it means.

I’m hoping (really, really hoping) that you’re just trying to be facetious and get a rise out of people. If that’s the case there might be a few folks who will actually paddle with you, once you finally pick a piece of plastic and get it wet.

You’ve said (several times now) that you’ve gotten lots of advice from your class V buddies – maybe you should just take it and buy a boat instead of fishing for attention on the buzz??? Trust me, you’ll get plenty once you finally get in the water. Or, you could go to your local play hole, sit on the bank, and ask to demo boats when folks get out to stretch their legs. My guess is that’d work pretty well for you, esp. if you wear a pair of board shorts and a sports bra. You might try something along the lines of, “Hi, mind if I jump in there and see how tight things are?”

That said, I’m assuming you’re basically a nice person with too much attitude for her brand-new skirt. So, in answer to your question:

I’d go no on the inazone; it made my knees too wide and low, resulting in a very uncomfortable position that killed my hip snap, so it misses one of your criteria.

EZ gets a vote for river runner/play; it’s comfortable, stable, and should get you down class III, into some holes for roll practice and some play moves, and will stick with you into class IV. Easy to roll; reasonable price for a beginner boat if you find a good used one. Save your $ for next year when you have a better idea of what you want.

Stubby: you don’t want one. Leave ‘em for the folks who know what great creek boats they are, and aren’t afraid to outfit a boat using foam, Barge, and dragonskin (gee, however did the old schoolers survive?).

I’d second PARKER’s advice on the Stubby/EZ quiver, but that’d be putting a Stubby in the wrong hands…maybe you should let Gary E train her for a few years then beg for her back?

Just get in the water. Any water. Flatwater even. A pool. Your bathtub. In most anything that floats and doesn’t have a keyhole cockpit. If you want to learn and can take a beating, you’ll learn – esp. if you have some solid people helping you…and your chances of that increase exponentially once you a) get off the keyboard and get in the water, preferably wearing a sports bra, b) stop throwing so much attitude until you can back it up, and c) actually use your name so you don’t look like such a p@*&y.

Don’t even bother grading me; I know exactly where I stand, and my stick already fits perfectly. I have easy access to a dictionary, my keyboard works fine, my full brain is intact, I’m very literate, and I’ll even post my name if you step up and post yours. Oh — and I typically swim in flatwater and can’t throw a loop to save my ass, so I guess that makes my advice a bit suspect.

C’mon – start swingin.’ (oh yeah – you were about to tell me this is a post about boat choices and I’m not worth your response time, and maybe even mention something about Satan and my free choice about what posts to read and respond to. Very original). Me and my ego will be leaving now.
dumbguy Craig, CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #45
Web Developer/Programmer
Well I took my first F with stride, cause well I deserved it. Thought the whole thread was funny so I even let the "tard class" comment slide. I generally don't tolerate such ignorance. How is it possible to think that comments against the mentally handicapped are acceptable? Whatever. It shows your low level of mental capacity, tolerance, and good will.

Originally Posted by wisegirl Vail, CO
...BUT (and this is why I threw this post out) there are paddlers I respect, that would caution against something leaning so far to the play side. That's all.
Let me guess. These are people who actually paddle with you? They probably just want you to have as stable a boat as possible to decrease the already very likely chance they'll have to save your weak ass.
Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #46
Lyons, 80540
Paddling Since: 1997
My advice would be to get a couple used boats... get an EZ for play and class II-V+ (class V if you're Forrest as mentioned above). You should be able to get for $300 or so used... then get a Phat (or similar, Stubby would be good - some old used creeker for about $300 - still less then one NEW boat) and use that in class IV to get comfortable in it. Then, when you're ready to turn it up a notch take your boys to Cross Creek and grease the snot out of it.

I've learned you need almost two of everything in CO... two sets of skis, two kayaks, two pairs of underwear, two sets of lawn darts.. etc.. etc.
Juan E Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #47
Dumbguy... after I read your first few lines and went and puked, I decided to skip the rest. Anyone who actually takes the time to tell a cute little "story" about why they just had to reply, might as well put their cheerleading suit on, jump up and down and admit they couldn't wait to get their soft, shiny, little hands on the keyboard at the thought of being a part of this thread. You make me sick. Do us all a favor and keep it to one post or better yet, just delete the first one... it took up a lot of room.

I-Dot... while well intentioned you're not quite on the archery range yet, but close, very close. And not that it's any of your business, but my brother has a mental handicap and I love him more than anyone in the world. So pretty much, STFU. But how bout a C+ for trying and for being dead on about Texas... maybe we can give it to South America?

Juan E. - You the man. A+ for using "grease the snot out of it" in a post and for getting it... huge lawn dart sale at Mountain Killers this weekend, if you hurry you can get the collectors point sharpener too... it's a miniature of "dumbguy" bent over with his cheerleader skirt hiked up and you just stick the lawn dart up his ass, give it a little twist and well, you get the picture... sharp as new!
Old 07-27-2005   #48

"Anyone who actually takes the time to tell a cute little "story" about why they just had to reply, might as well put their cheerleading suit on, jump up and down and admit they couldn't wait to get their soft, shiny, little hands on the keyboard at the thought of being a part of this thread. "

Correct assessment. Why do you think those lines are there? Falls under the category of irony -- I don't even drink coffee. Just assumed you'd be able to make the mental leap, given your previous posts.

Now, if you really didn't read the rest I'll bend over, pull up my cheerleading skirt, and sharpen that lawn dart myself.

Sorry I brought back the bulimic tendencies from your sorority days.
dumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #49
This is by far the worst thread I have ever seen. Unfortunately, I'm unemployed, most of the water is gone and I'm participating. Ain't got no job, ain't got no money.. ain't got s%^& to do except type on the internet with all of you like-minded losers. Maybe that was a little harsh? ehh..
But you know what, there are a lot of things to do, so maybe I'll go do one of them.

.. sorry for the stream of conciousness
johnny portage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #50
You are all muthafuckin bitches.

G's up hoes down if that bitch can't swim she's bound to drizound.

BobbyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote