Old 02-12-2012   #1
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Table/deck mounting

Has anyone setup a table/deck that is attached to the frame but flexes with the raft? I am trying to add some capacity to my 14' raft and use the table as a passenger seat with a drop bag below it.

manderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #2
Does your frame flex with the raft? If you used a trailer frame instead it could kind of flex as it hinges to the main.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #3
Flagstaff, Arizona
The frame is fixed, it is and NRS compact outfitter with an extra crossbar. I am trying to get at something similar to a trailer frame, just trying to go the homemade route.
manderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #4
Canon City, Colorado
6' 2x4 with a 1" hole drilled in each end makes a great cheap, lightweight option for adding a bay to a frame. Use a drop bag in between the main frame and the 2x4.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #5
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Just buy longer side rails.Then you can use the old rails for cross bars.I bought by drop bag from Andy&Bax in Portland for $75.00,very nice has zippers to keep my beer from escaping.They also come with all the staps to hang it from the cross bars.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #6
Flagstaff, Arizona
I had the same frame for my 14'. I just bought four 72" rails from NRS. I used two for longer side rails and attached the others for new front and rear cross bars using speed-rail elbows.
NorthernAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #7
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Depending on the length of the table you could strap it to your frame and to the raft as if it were a trailer frame. Just make sure the main frame is strapped down independently. From there you could strap a front open drop bag to the bottom of the table. Quick easy fix and would require no additional parts.

Since you already have the extra crossbar, I feel the best way to do it (as mentioned prior) would be to buy new side rails that span the total desired frame length. Next week I am building an 82" long four bay frame for my 14 foot raft. I will post the build when I am done.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #8
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
If you have an extra crossbar on a compact outfitter, don't you already have four bays? I have the same setup with four bays and deluxe foot bar and it just fits. If you have long legs or really big dry box/cooler it may not work.
FranBoatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #9
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I've built trailer frames out of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" tubing, muffler pipe and/or chain link fence tubing. You can often find swedged 90 degree elbows for these, so all you have to do is cut tubing to length and add the corners. you can attach the corners with simple rivets, then duct tape or rope-wrap the corners. Low materials cost and I had one that went on the river with me for years and years. Then you build a plywood table/deck that fits right over it. For legs use 1" or 1 1/4" pipe stands (in the plumbing section of hardware store). Find some aluminum pipe and have it threaded. Attach the pipe stands with T-nuts so they are flat on the table top. Sorry I don't have any photos but I had a set-up like this for years and years. Was cheap to build and effective. Hint - make your table legs tall enough. Another hint - - find a metal salvage/scrap yard and you can find a lot of the pipe material, especially aluminum tubing, for cheap. True Value (some of them) will thread the pipe for you for $5.00 an end. My buddy Jim still has this set up going strong over 15 years (though he doesn't use it that often). Nice thing about trailer frames, you can leave them home when you don't need them, e.g., on day trips. Buena suerte.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #10
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
PS Mount those pipe stands just inside enough so they sort of "center" and hold the deck in place over the trailer frame, pipe stands down. Put your table legs in the drop bag. Strap er' in and go.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote