Old 12-05-2010   #11
I just switched back to my WRSI for creeking and I am pumped. I used to only wear it while playboating. I have strange dopy ears that stick way out (jacobi be kind) so I got the rocker full cut. Then Nick showed me the ear protection add on for the WRSI and I am back wearing my WRSI with ear protection full time.

I have messed up and hit my head a plenty, but I would say both helmets have equal impact protection. I think the major advantage of the WRSI is the "O Brace." This thing really does its job and keeps your helmet from slipping off the back of your head. The large profile of the Sweet grabs water and I have had it shift on my head in faster water.

just my 2 cents

ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010   #12
WRSI info on new helmets: WRSI at OR 2010 w/ Nick Turner

vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
They are both good helmets. I own a sweet full face, and I've tried the WRSI on.

WRSI makes a helmet with great safety features for a very good price. Hard to beat that combo, especially for people on a budget. The main downside of the WRSI for me was that it rode high on my head and didn't fit me well.

Sweet helmets are pricey, but they are awesome! I bought a sweet full face because in my opinion its got the best impact absorption, and it fits me perfectly, almost as if it were designed for my head. The sweet fits me noticeably better than my WRSI, and I think that a great fit helps keep a helmet snug on your head and improves energy dissipation.

I think the price of the sweet helmets suffers from two big drawbacks, one they are manufactured in norway where everything is super expensive to begin with, and two, the dollar exchange rate has slid over the last several years causing the US dollar price for the sweet to go up as the dollar went into the shitter.

Even though sweets are expensive, I think they are worth it. Its one of the most important pieces of safety gear I own, and it will likely last me for at least 3-4 years. If I average that price out over the years I use it, I pay more for creekboats, paddles, drysuits, beer, and gas on an annual basis.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #14
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I've had both and liked both. I was disappointed with the add-on jaw protector for the WRSI and moved to the Sweet FF. The Sweet is quite warm - good for the winter here, but sweltering in the summers.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #15
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
5 years with the same WRSI here, only have had to have one rivet replaced due to rust damage.

Exceptional helmet developed at John Hopkins University I believe. Would like to have a full face style one down the road.

I agree completely that this type of helmet may fit differently than other companies, and that the most important thing is fit and comfort.

Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote