Old 04-24-2014   #1
Sweet protection dry top

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to trim the next gasket on a sweet protection dry top. And if it is a good dry top? I'm new to all this and don't know if the things I'm buying are good.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

jtp72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #2
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I just got the shadrach this year.... I tried stretching and stretching. still way too tight. I ended up taking scissors and trimming one line at a time over a period of a few days. and stretching in between. in totally I took off 3 or maybe 4. and its still tight but tolerable. have been out twice and no complaints. haven't had a full on swim experience though. the consensus is don't cut too much and don't stretch to much. you want it to be VERY tight at first. and it will break in. .... oh... and the material is VERY durable. I used cheap scissors and had no problems. not perfect lines but not splits or anything. and the first line is just practice, you can take one more off... best of luck!

GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #3
Thanks a lot for the advice. Mine is make you dizzy pass out kinda tight so I definitely have to do some timing!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
jtp72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #4
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
mine felt the same way. get the best scissors you can .... trim one line... stretch over a coffee can for a night. try again. best of luck. happy paddling. you got this!
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #5
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
I have the same dilemma. Got a new Shadrach this year and have been stretching it forever over a 21" diam. football, for my 16.5" neck, to no avail.

Sweet won't tell me anything other than to stretch it and not cut it. If you want to try stretching it first, they recommended using something inflatable-specifically a stern float bag- so as not the be pulling the gasket down over something large and risk tearing it.

So I asked my cousin who's a USCG rescue swimmer if he encounters this problem. He said he and his buddies go through this every time with new dry suits. He said they always stretch the gasket a little over a metal bottle (air tank) that's wrapped in tape then cut it as straight as possible with a very sharp x-acto or similar blade. Though, any round object will do. Try to cut it as straight and cleanly as possible between the ridges (any nicks can start a tear in the gasket).

Here's a pic he sent me to show what they use (smaller bottle is for wrist gaskets):

gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #6
I used a foamy nerf football for a few days... mine is still tight, but its working and getting better eachh use. I'm not even trying to stretch it at this point.

If you can avoid cutting you'll probably be happier in the long term. That gasket is key... the less you mess with it the longer it will last. once that thing wears down, you will be wet and sad. Like a little wet, sad puppy. awww...

Clark is offline   Reply With Quote