Old 01-18-2013   #11
They both use a gore-tex pro shell. It's the exact same gore-tex membrane. The difference is Sweet uses a beefier outer layer material in their pro shell. People seem to want to argue that the membrane is different, but the only difference is the materials the membrane is laminated in.

You will be happy with either top. People have said that Sweet has in country support. Kokatat is guaranteed US support.

Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #12
Morrison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
thanks nathan,

it does seem unnecessary to debate over the two best dry tops on the market. i might take a shot on the sweet to save some cash today. if something goes horribly wrong in the next 2-3 years, i will then be right in line to get the rogue and say lesson learned.

i also read the previous threads and think there is no reason to beat a dead horse lol.

sross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #13
. ., Kairotic
I have a Kokatat Rogue and a Sweet Shadrach (which is the "playboating" version of the Prophecy). I'm 5'10" 165 pounds with washboard abs and shoulders like Atlas. I have an XL Rogue and a L Shadrach (the XL was gigantic). The Rogue is more comfortable and I wear it for longer, creekboating trips. However, the Shadrach is drier, especially in the wrist areas. The Sweet top seems to also still shed the water better than the Kokatat. The material for the Kokatat tops seems to lose its ability to bead water after a season of use.

I've worn Kokatat Gore-Tex drytops for about 20 years (my first one was the purple and yellow version) and have been extremely happy with them. Except for this last year when my Gore-Tex Meridian drysuit leaked A LOT in the left shoulder. Kokatat wouldn't honor the warranty, even though I had only worn the suit three times. I was told that I had punctured a hole in the shoulder, probably from carrying my boat. I never carry my boat on my left shoulder though. Anyway, 4 Corners eventually replaced the drysuit (thanks guys!).

I'm sure this thread will now be bombarded with testimonials from people who have had wonderful experiences with Kokatat's warranty, but I'm just letting you know about that one time that I spent about a thousand dollars for soaking wet shoulders and arms.

So, I think it depends what you are going to be using the drytop for, how frequently you boat, and the kind of abuse you are going to put it through.

Sorry, Mister Ed.

fullmer is offline   Reply With Quote