Old 10-06-2010   #1
Salem, Oregon
Super Puma- super thin?

Hi all,

I think this is my first post in the forums, but I've been lurking and watching you all for quite a while

Anyway I've a question. When I was 16 I spent every dollar I ever earned on a Wildcat with an expedition frame. It's a pretty sweet rig, and is great for just jumping on trips. However, I am now in college and want to start leading trips, and going out paddling for a Saturday with my mates. I've been heavily researching rafts and I think I decided on the Super Puma. However, during a Rogue trip last weekend I saw one for realsies and it looked really, really thin. Like WAY too thin. I love rowing, and I like paddle guiding. What do you think of this boat? Is it more prone to flip?

Thoughts on this craft? My dream craft has always been a Wing, but I don't think that's gonna happen. I also need to sell my cat for this to happen if anyone is interested...

lcscmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
By thin do you mean narrow? The boat is pretty darn small. If you are looking to haul gear get a bigger boat.

If you meant the material is thin and prone to wear, then no, don't worry about that.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #3
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Check out the specs on aire's website. It is defintately thinner than other boats of the same length. I have a Puma and it is tiny. Being so narrow you would think it would be prone to flipping but for some reason mine feels pretty stable hitting big drops and holes, though I try not to hit anything crooked or do any side-surfing. If you can afford it and love the shape but want a wider boat chack out the Aire 130D. I rowed one several times this summer and it was awesome, I really want one. Rides like a sports car, just like my puma but holds much more gear much more comfortably. It also depends on how low the water you float gets, as the 130D is like a foot wider, too wide for the Nolichucky much of the summer.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #4
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I took one down the grand canyon and did not flip FWIW.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #5
Salem, Oregon
Do you think I could fit 3 people (including myself), 3 drybags, and a cooler if I had a NRS Bighorn I frame? And yeah, I was talking about the width of the boat.

I really just want the option to go out rafting for a day with more than one other person sitting on a tractor seat. But I would also like the option to run small expeditions.
lcscmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #6
bruceton mills, West Virginia
I have a super-puma and a Bighorn frame; I don’t use the frame too often because we use it more as a paddle boat... But when I do it carries the frame, a cooler, 2 people and 2 dogs... tight but versatile.
mwunder424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #7
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
We have a superuma. You should remember that the inflatable floor actually has vents that allow water enter to create a ballast effect like a sailboat with a fixed keel. This helps to keep the bottom side down. It works and is very stable.
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #8
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I've spent quite a bit of time in my friends Super Puma this past summer and I can say I love the thing. Works great for R-2 but can fit 6 for a day trip (or 4 and her 2 dogs). She has a frame but rarely uses it (usually has enough friends who like to raft to paddle ...). If you're used to wider boats- then yes, the SP is "tippier" but once you get used to it, it's lots of fun.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #9
loveland, Colorado
Super Puma is awesome for class IV-V R2 or anything below with intermediate crew. Have rowed it on Colorado with wife and 2 kids.
suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #10
Louisville, Colorado
I was watching that "going Feral" video and started to miss my Wildcat. Sigh. Are you sure you want to sell it?

But my new SDpuma is great for the fact I can have company, do longer trips, and carry more beer. The Puma's are narrow boats, and it is part of the reason the cut through things so nicely.

The 3 people, 3 med/large dry bags and cooler will be doable onthe Super Puma. If you want to take 2-3 people for multiple days and have firewood, fire pan, and some kitchen you might consider going larger.

I am a big fan of AIRE boats

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

aire super puma raft