Old 01-22-2010   #11
Rockledge, Florida
I get the need for portability hence the inflatable thing. Just a shame you have to go that way--they are dogs in the water and therefore likely rob you of a lot of fun. I have kids too (and one SUP's with me). Just do like the rest of us and throw stuff on the roof (and every nook and cranny in the SUV). If you are shooting for a $350 board you are asking for trouble. They are garbage (unless you can get a used based up one on Craig's list that is a better model). These things are ridiculously expensive but, what are you going to do? That's the deal with water sports. A decent rig is gonna cost $1,450.00. Way it is.

I have a C4 and it's OK but not great BUT that's because I got the 'cheaper' 2-layer layup version and it dings just by looking at it. Two other boards that I have that have really payed-off (not sure if you can get them where you are) are the NSP 10'6" and also an 11'6" SouthPoint (EXCELLENT board). Not sure about banging these boards off rocks and stuff but I have surfed them in river swell, ocean surf (they are better than long boards for that--you have to use restraint and not catch every wave!), and lake-like conditions and they are a really good time. Do it!

LagoonYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #12
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by LagoonYaker View Post
I get the need for portability hence the inflatable thing. Just a shame you have to go that way--they are dogs in the water and therefore likely rob you of a lot of fun.
I agree however you live in Florida and Mut lives in Colorado. On our rocky rivers the inflatables make a lot of sense when the straightline speed and performance in the surf are not high priorities. Also if you take one along on a multi-day river trip, then you need to be able to deflate it and throw it on the back of a raft when you are making miles.

If you want one to rip the river surf here in Colorado check out my buddy Zack's Badfish Chubby Stick:

I just got mine. This board was born and raised here in Salida, Colorado and Zack spent 2 years prototyping boards that would surf our dumb little river waves. He came up with regular surf boards and this his first foray into SUP. It is based on the same design principals that he developed for his river surf boards. If you are interested PM me and I will get you hooked up with Zack.

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote