Mountain Buzz banner

Sunglasses / goggles

6K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  shappattack 
#1 ·
Hey guys Im doing a 2 day class this weekend. I've stocked up on some gear like a fully submersible bag, hat, dry fit cloths, phone water case etc, but I feel like I'm missing a good pair of floating/strapped sunglasses.

Anyone where goggles?

I've only seen one or 2 pairs of strapped watersport sunglasses on Amazon and need your feedback. Sea specs seem to be nice, but got some back reviews. Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#7 ·
Smith's Guide sunglasses have an integrated retention strap. There is also a sunglasses brand that makes sunglasses for surfers that has an integrated strap.

Polarized work best for the river.

That being said, any sunglasses you have paired with Croakies should keep your eyes safe.

#12 ·
Ha! I love safety glasses from the hardware store! They are affordable and make great sunglasses. Been using my business account to buy them, figuring I'm not to out of line writing them off, since they usually are my safety glasses.

#14 · (Edited)
Ha, the IRS is so under funded right now you would have to run a big red flag up your pole to get their attention, and might have to light it on fire to get audited...

I also prefer a light tint. My most recent paddling sunglasses are a yellow lens. It's good enough in direct light, but excellent with a little overcast. Cheap enough to not get concerned if I lose or damage them too.

http://www.pugsgear.com/sunglasses/pugs-1301a-sunglasses/

#16 ·
Anyone wear goggles?
For running the river they are worthless, but if you are going to be in a pool or lake and doing roll clinics they are actually a valuable asset. When first learning my roll I used pool goggles to aid with visual orientation. It really helped with switching back and forth between an onside and offside. For what they cost I would throw a pair in your gear bag (my earlier comment regarding goggles was in reference to downriver boating).

#17 ·
There must be thousands of sunglasses at the bottom of rivers across the U.S. Lol Maybe if I need a new pair I'll just dive down to the bottom.

Losing my Oakley's along with my Gopro in the Atlantic really hit my hard for a few days. For now on I'll be buying cheap sunglasses and using two safety lanyards for Gopro

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#19 ·
Solar Shields Amber. You can get em at Wally World for $20, they are polarized so you can look at the desert varnish and tilt your head in awe, and they fit over prescription glasses (like old folks). I prefer to buy the biggest ones so I can look like the biggest dork on the river.

#23 ·
just in case there are some real geeky folks like me, I am extremely near sighted and wear glasses and can't wear contacts for medical reasons. I wear rec-specs kayaking and they work great for me, the strap is burly and they don't fog up much at all, I treat the lenses the same way I do with my dive mask to prevent fogging. mine are polarized and transition lenses so they get darker with more sunlight and are nearly clear when the sun is down. They do not look cool, but they do work in my situation.
Rec Specs Maxx 31 Glasses, #MX-31 - MyEyewear2GO.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.