Old 05-03-2014   #1
Trondheim, Norway
Paddling Since: 2010
Sunglasses for WW (under helmet)

What kind of solutions are used to protect eyes on water, against sun rays?
A brim on the helmet is OK, but doesn't help much against the reflections from the water. Sunglasses would be nice, but none of those I own fits me under my Sweet Rocker helmets. The helmet is too tight: the arms of usual sunglasses will kind of drill into my head, making them quite uncomfortable to wear. I also expect some challenges when it comes to safety, water splashing and maybe even submersion (rolling), I'd prefer a solution where water droplets wouldn't interfere too much with my sight and also not loosing the glasses if I where submersed or rolled.

Squat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #2
., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
Try working on the Clint Eastwood squint, been working for me so far. I've lost too many pairs of sunglasses to rivers to invest my money on anything but $5 gas station shades.
Also, if you use sunglasses regularly, your eyes start to depend on them. After I started not using them for a while, glare doesn't bother me as much, while driving, biking, kayaking...

Or bring your helmet to sunglass hut, rei, or another store with plenty of shades and try try try. Then get some croakies or chums to keep them attached when they slip off your nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #3
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
I have dedicated an old pair of Oakley's with Croakies glued on. I use these glasses because one of the rubber ear bands came off. So just find what fits with your helmet.

The points I would point out for sunglasses is use a pair of polarized glasses. These due help with seeing rocks under the water glare

Also, I like kayaking with glasses on. It keeps water from splashing in my eyes so I'm not going through waves with my eyes closed. I can focus on the upcoming water rather than trying to blink the water out of my eyes.

Finally, I use RainX on my glasses to sheet the water off. I have to do it every few trips but it's worth it. The only thing I'm still working on is my glasses tend to fog for a minute or two after I roll. I haven't started experimenting on anti fog goo yet. If anyone has any ideas for anti fog I would like to hear.
manelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #4
Garden Valley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
I always use sun glasses under my helmet, never have lost a pair. I use Natives, they have several styles that have a lens without a bottom frame so the water rolls right off and doesn't get hung up on the frame when I get splashed. Super lightweight, I use anti fog every couple of trips, wouldn't want to paddle w/ out them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Gardenvalleykayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I use sunglasses under my helmet to.

I use $9.99 polarized shades from wal mart sporting/fishing dept, with a leash.

No worries if a loss. I bought 3 pairs at the start of last season. Still have all of them. I usally keep an extra pair in my dry box just case I or a buddy needs a pair.

I agree it is a major advatage not to have close ur eyes when hit in the face with spray.

And I love getting face shots one of the best parts of whitewater.

polarized models really help to spot rocks under water.
shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #6
Bar Nunn, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011

Check out I wear them under my half cut and full face helmet. They are pricey, but terrific. 3 years use and still working great. Confluence Kayaks in Denver stocks them.
wtrembath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #7
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have been using a pair of Whistler sunglasses from Silverfish for a long time and really like them. They are built for surfing. Polarized lens with strap. This model is the most secure I have found as they have not come off my head while rolling a kayak or taking the annual swim. Not cheap but worth the price in my opinion.

Surf Sunglasses | Surfing Sunglasses | Water Sunglasses | Prescription Rx | Surfer Eyewear Silverfish
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #8
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I use Cat Crap for anti fog.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #9
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I use to wear some Smiths with a Chums on them. I never lost them, but I found that I really could only wear them on very hot days-otherwise they would just fog up and I would end up paddling with them around my neck. I tried catcrap and spit to prevent the fogging, but nothing really helped. So now I just use the Clint Squint as mentioned above
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #10
Newburgh, Indiana
Paddling Since: 2014
I was going to go with the football/baseball eyeblack that's what we used for glare off the ice when we would play outdoor hockey and it worked out GREAT

indigenous is offline   Reply With Quote