Suggestions for good creak boats for small women - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-22-2016   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Suggestions for good creak boats for small women

Hey folks,

I'm getting some friends into paddling, and a buddy of mine is a 5'2'' woman. Right now she's paddling a Remix 69, which is admittedly big. So I'm wondering if there is a consensus on a couple of boats that are decent for the smaller lady.

myhairywookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The Remix 59 might be a better fit, if she likes the style. It's not a full on creeker, but is a pretty quick and maneuverable river runner. A Wavesport Diesel 60 would be similar, and I think Pyranha makes a similar size Burn.
IMO, creekers are for serious creeping. Others will argue, with good reasons. I think that river runners teach better paddling.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016   #3

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingH20 View Post
The Remix 59 might be a better fit, if she likes the style. It's not a full on creeker, but is a pretty quick and maneuverable river runner. A Wavesport Diesel 60 would be similar, and I think Pyranha makes a similar size Burn.
IMO, creekers are for serious creeping. Others will argue, with good reasons. I think that river runners teach better paddling.
I agree. Learning to kayak in a creeker is like learning to mountain bike on a full suspension frame. Sure, its nice and easy... a little too easy. On a bike you a better off learning how to ride with good technique on a hard tail, and then upgrade to a full suspension when you are ready to apply your skills. Learning on a full suspension frame just allows you to bash through rocks without learning to dodge around them.

Similarly, a creeker will make it easier to punch through holes and will likely be less "tippy" but won't force you to learn how to control your edges and balance to the degree that you would in a less forgiving boat.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016   #4

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Jackson 2 fun (all around learning river runner)
small burn (advanced - expert creek boat)
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote