Old 05-27-2010   #1
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
Suggest a good used kayak for an intermediate paddler

I haven't kayaked in a few years...but our family bought a raft this year, and I'll be on the river a ton this year, both guiding and multiday private trips with the kids.

I have a decent roll, although often in rapids I'll swim (big wuss here). Good roll in flat water practice but I turn into a quivering bag of shit when I need to hit my roll in rapids.

Not interested in anything past class IV for now. Something good for going down-river, but I'd like to be able to surf and play. A good all-around boat.

I'm 6' and 175lbs. My wife would probably like to get in it on some days just to screw around, she's 5'8" and 120lbs.

I learned on an RPM, spent some time in a Mr. Clean (I suck, and felt that boat was not stable enough for me) also paddled a Savage Beast a few times, felt like it was too big.

I'm not going to spend a ton of loot on a new boat. something used with decent rigging. If you have something for sale it'd be even better if you're in N. NM. if you're in the ark valley that'd be cool too as I need a reason to justify going up there to work and chill. If you're in SE Utah I'll be launching on the Juan in a week and a half.

Suggest a boat, or let me know if you have something for sale. cheap = good

BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Jackson Fun Series will be the most playful boat that is also a solid river runner and it was/is a very popular boat so probably easy to find used.

Pryanha Recoil looks cool, have not seen one, not sure if many used out there. Fuse series from wavesport.

Just about every manufacturer makes one, you open up even more doors if you want more river running than play: burn, remix, diesel, axiom.......

Coming from an RPM and Mr. Clean you will probably think any boat in the last 5 years is comfy, but would still demo as much as you can.

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #3
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Vote for Jackson Fun Series.
You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #5
glenwood springs, Colorado
Totally vote for Jackson Fun Series!

Good playboats, good river runners and anyone, even my 6 year old can roll the 1fun ... your size prolly 3fun!! they are for sale everywhere ... i even have one, a black been used a ton, but we're in CO ...
10grtkids is offline   Reply With Quote