Old 07-15-2011   #1
Groveland, California
Straightening oar lock shaft?

Should you straighten oarlock shafts that have been this bent? The Cobra material seems to be quite soft, but don't know the limit before cracks start to form and I have to worry about future failure. (It was actually bent considerably more than this, but I beat it straight(er) with a boulder so I could at least finish the day.)

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #2
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 2001
go buy some bronze NRS oarlocks, I wouldnt rebend it maybe drop it off at a welders or machine shop they can do a better job

Flyflishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #3
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I straightened one that was in similar condition recently. The next time I hit something with that oar, the lock shaft sheared off right where it meets the tower.
bookmillone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #4
Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Anytime metal is bent and restraightened it is weakened, get a new one.
riverjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #5
Groveland, California
Thanks, that's what I needed to know....not worth the effort, I'll order new.

Are NRS Superstrong oar locks made out of a different bronze that doesn't bend as easily as the Cobras?
Old 07-17-2011   #6
Boise, Idaho
I use whichever oar locks are most appropriate for the type of boating I'm doing. On my cat I use the cheapest ones I can find, which happen to be free ones from my brother the gear hoarder. This works out great because I flipped twice this weekend and for repairs used a rock Friday and a hammer and vice today. Never throw away a lock unless you absolutely can't use it.

On my big gear boat I use the threaded cobras pictured in this thread. They are more expensive but that boat is not the rock crawler my cat is. Always carry a spare in your tool kit. Also, make sure the oar cannot come out through the horns even on just the shaft. Popped an oar today as I was making a move in a legit rapid...flipperino. Squeezed the horns down in the vice so the sleeve has just enough room to move in the lock.

As far as I know brass is brass. If you are going to be flipping a lot(like I do) hit up craigslist or buy as inexpensively(while being safe) as you can and make you sure you tune the horns to your oars.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #7
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
YOu should be able to bend that back if you can get some sort of a vice up near the base. You didn't bend the attachment point at all (maybe hard to tell in a photo). Cobra will tell you that they bend, and just bend them back. But then they bend again. It is soft material, and while they are great for range of motion they suck for tuning and shaft bending.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #8
Groveland, California
I was running these locks in a UHMW bushing to try to eliminate the squeak/rattle/slop. I think this is why the lock bent so bad, it just deformed the UHMW and bent the lock inside the tower (has a nut, so it couldn't have pulled out of the support to bend.) I'm now re-thinking this, and will probably replace the UHMW bushing with stainless.

For kicks I tried to straighten the lock, and had no luck. Because it was bent over such a long area, it was hard to re-bend in the right spot and ended up turning it into a slight "S".

These go on my small cat, which (apparently) will be upsidedown a bit. What are the strongest locks?

How strong are those Posi-Lockers? I see they have a lifetime warranty and are made of steel, but do they bend as well?
Old 07-26-2011   #9
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Anything will either bend or crack off if you hit it hard enough

I doubt if posilockers are warranted against abuse

And do you want to replace a $130 oar shaft or a $40 oar lock?

Sometimes shit happens. Maybe will teach you to keep your boat upright on bony rivers
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #10
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?

matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote