Old 04-09-2010   #1
Fraser, Colorado
Storage of 4pc breakdown paddle in a kayak

So I haven't been able to figure out the best way to store my 4pc breakdown paddle in my Nomad 8.5 when it's loaded for overnights. Inside the drybags in the stern is the obvious secure way to store the paddle pieces, but that takes up a lot of valuable space inside the drybags. And I'm not comfortable having stuff in my boat that's not fastened down well enough to survive a swim.

I was thinking that there might be a way to store one of the shafts and one of the blades in the space that exists between the hip pad support pillar and the outer hull on each side. The boat came with foam there in that space, but on one side it went missing so I tested the fit and both one blade and one shaft fit there. I just haven't figured out how to fasten them in that position. The shaft pieces have a cork in them, so a cord would not be able to loop through those pieces. I guess that leaves the method of somehow enclosing the blade and shaft inside a bag on each side that could somehow be secured to the boat?

Has anyone come up with a good way to do this and/or are there other solutions out there that work well that someone could share?

foreverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #2
White City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Send a message via AIM to kayaker1976
I have the blades and shafts put together stuffed inside an old perception float bag. I rolled the top closed and and clipped it in through both the holes in the bag so it won't come open. It seems to leave plenty of room in my boat.

kayaker1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
My approach is to duct tape one blade and 1/2 a shaft together, then tie a small loop of cord through a hole in the paddle (most breakdowns have at least one hole where they mate) and biner the paddle in using the cord. I can fit the blade and 1/2 shaft in the stern under a drybag after its been stuffed in there first. I assume there is at least one hole on the paddle to tie in a cord loop. I put one 1/2 of the the paddle on each side of the stern to balance the load.

If you do duct tape the blade and 1/2 shaft together, be sure not to get any duct tape on any part of the paddle that slides into another part of the shaft. Even the goo from duct tape will make the slim tolerance fit difficult to get together.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #4
Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
I use Lendal breakdowns, which are pricy, so I take good care of them. I don't want sand and grit grinding away at the lock mechanisms. I have a smallish drybag, shaped like a float bag (tapered) that rolls shut and then buckles together. There is a closed plastic loop on the drybag at the buckle that I 'biner to the loops in the back of my seat ('08 Nomad). I place the bag alongside the back pillar with the blades vertical to the hull. I then inflate the float bag over the top of the drybag which helps hold it in place. There is also a small one way bleeder valve in the bottom of the dry bag.

I'm sorry I can't tell you the brand of the drybag as I'm currently travelling without the creek boat. This system works really well though. You can also throw an extra thing of two in the bag if you want, such as a space blanket. So far my breakdown is in great shape.

As stated, the Lendal is pretty expensive but I've had to use a cheap breakdown in a pretty sketchy place and I ponied up for the Lendal after that. I've even taken to using a Lendal as my main paddle although I do miss my AT2 Flexi. Unfortunately it's stuffed under a large redwood logjam on a CA coastal river. Better the paddle than me though!
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote

breakdown paddle storage, kayaking