Old 11-06-2011   #31
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I had the 80 out today for a demo on the Truss. I paddle a M Burn normally, and a Mystic before that, and I was looking for a little more stability in pushy water. I wasn't very pleased with the boat overall.

- Outfitting is fantastic, though the knee position is higher than I am used to
- I adjusted the boat to fit in less than two minutes
- Easy to roll, as tested in Upper Zig Zag
- Boofs very well
- Fast in a straight line
- Secondary stability
- Not bothered by crossing currents (those from the side)

- The "edge" doesn't bite. I fell over in Upper ZZ because I leaned into a corner and the boat kept moving under me
- Eddies are tougher to catch
- The nose will move sideways when hit from the side unless you are counteracting
- Didn't really track well in rapids
- Felt like hole bait
- Requires large numbers of draw and Dufeck strokes to keep on line
- The seat felt high
- The pillars and seat rail had an inch of front to back motion

I think in summary the boat felt sloppy to me. It felt like it required a lot of attention to keep it pointed where I wanted it. It also had a tendency to missile launch in a way that I'm not used to seeing when I didn't get the nose up. It is possible that at 155, I don't carry enough weight to make the boat do what I need it to. Towards the second half of the run it started to make more sense as I added more and more backband, but it was a consistently awkward experience. To an extent, it reminded me of the Villain S in the way that it bobbed around. Perhaps it would have been better with the seat moved forward an inch, or if LL makes a Stomper 75, but the 80 isn't going to take up residence in my garage.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #32
I haven't paddled the burn or the mystic. I can imagine that the Stomper is less edgy that the Burn but should feel similarly to the mystic.

I haven't noticed any tracking or edging issues yet, but I'm in the 90 and am over 200lbs. The seat is actually lower than in last years Jefe. Have you paddled a pure displacement-hulled boat? If so, how did it feel for you?

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #33
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I remember paddling the original rocker and thinking that it was ok other than the greased log sensation. Also, my first boat was a Pyranha Attak, which was more displacement than planing.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote