Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 07-08-2009   #1
Lewiston, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Stohlquist X-Traxt reviews....... New Astral LJ's looking pretty snazzy too

I had an Astral Rescue vest for a short time here a while ago. I'm on my second x-traxt; my preferred LJ for guiding without a doubt; simple and easy to use, great to swim rapids in; but not a lot of float to it. Have swam many rapids and was in a flip the other day. Will use it no matter what and have all but confidence in it. I'm not a kayaker though. An Astral is a returned product by me for one reason, well two reasons. 1st thing is that there is too much to get snagged on and for it's great design riding low it actually doesn't swim as well as the x-traxt at all. Can't say for sure which is easier when it comes to getting up on top of a flipped raft, but a stohlquist is just a simple and great jacket. Kudos to astral for the environment, and that makes me want to go that way; like I said I did but returned it.... It was hard for me to take it on and off when I wanted to; as a guide I like to take my lJ off when I'm in flat water as I run extended 5/6 day trips and for that the Stohlquist is hard to beat. I'd like someone to combine features of the two; the astral is great but they have their ways about them and don't seem to want to change. Some great features but I'd like some but not all of them; the things are just really unusual to wear sometimes and getting one off; as there are potentially times when you would need to get your LJ off in an emergency; that LJ will not come off when you pull on the shoulders. That freaks me out and I'm claustrophobic now after owning an Astral. I like Stohlquist, good company, and I have a strong bond with my LJ; hope it isn't a fools faith. Plan to go everywhere with mine and continue to wear the x-traxt, no doubt my choice in this comparison.

Luke id guides lic. #11208
neverbetter is offline   Reply With Quote