Old 02-26-2012   #1
Tenacious B
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Stohlquist B-pod drysuit foot issues.

I bought a new Stohlquist B-pod about a year ago and have been getting damp feet. It was happening last year right after i bought it and just happened again today. Not like sopping wet socks, just kinda damp, more than what sweat would produce. I went in and talked to the place where i bought it and the guy who sold it to me said it might actually be my boots aren't letting water drain out so when i step its forcing tiny water molecules into the foot. Well i was asshole deep in spring boating and didnt want send it off anywhere so i just dealt with it. I just made the first run of the year and i had damp feet again. Anybody else have one of these suits with non latex socks?

Ben Bade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #2
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You could have pinholes. Socks take a lot of abuse. To check for pinholes, fill the suit up with water- not all the way- just to say, mid calf. Check for any leaks. Aquaseal if you find any.

If no pinholes, you may just be dealing with physics. Water vapor is going to travel from high vapor pressure to low vapor pressure. Vapor pressure is dictated mainly by temperature, that is, higher temps tend to produce higher vapor pressure. So, your waterproof/breathable material will let much of your sweat out, however, at colder areas in your suit, like your feet, or your butt if you're sitting in a puddle of cold water, you will have elevated humidity and condensation.

I wear extra socks, and try not to step in the water, even though I'm wearing gore-tex socks.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #3
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Other than that, how do you like it? I bought one in september but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #4
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Just sent my in for inspection. They are replacing the neck and told me that the feet are leaking pretty bad which they will patch up. Shipping it back out by Friday.
Excited to see if their is a noticeable difference in Performance.
Probably put close to a 100 days in my suit last year, was really dry for the first twenty times during the Sierra Nevada Winter, started getting really Damp during the Summer, leading to a re-waterproofing of the material at some point in August and at which point it worked well through Gore Season.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #5
Tenacious B
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Interesting take on the water vapor. Climb- how do you layer your socks? I'm going to try filling the feet with water here shortly. Other than the foot issue Ive been very pleased. It seems very breathable, i don't get all swampy. I had about 20 days in it last year.
Ben Bade is online now   Reply With Quote