Stohlquist Amp drysuits - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Stohlquist Amp drysuits

Just pulled the trigger on the men's and women's at $450 and $390, with option to return, no questions asked. Seems like the best value I could find. Looking for reviews; found minimal, old input in a search. Any ladies out there actually use the front relief zipper? Or do I have to tell the wife to quit drinking beer while paddling?

AZ boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
faja

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I got the EZ last Spring. It's worked great.
fajawiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajawiebe View Post
I got the EZ last Spring. It's worked great.
How does the Neoprene neck gasket do for keeping water out? A lot more comfortable then the latex ones? Both the Amp and EZ look like great options. Kinda wish they had more color options though.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Professional Transient, See above.
Had a female friend pick up a drysuit with a front relief zipper. She seemed happy with it. Buy her something like a Shewee.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
faja

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
How does the Neoprene neck gasket do for keeping water out? A lot more comfortable then the latex ones? Both the Amp and EZ look like great options. Kinda wish they had more color options though.
The neck gasket is pretty tight when you first put it on but it stretches a bit so it's fine. I don't have previous experience with a dry suit so I can't compare it to others. I can tell you that I used it on an October float down the Rogue this year where it literally did not stop raining, and it rained hard. I wore the suit all day, every day and was quite dry and comfortable. I took a little bit of water around the wrist seals but I think better gloves would take care of that.
fajawiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Wenatchee, WA
Paddling Since: '91
Just bought a Amp from BackCountry. My first full drysuit(drypants and drytop before) really like the dry sock feature vs. ankle gaskets! Very happy with this purchase, just wish I had pulled the trigger on one years ago. Material seems durable and breathable.
micthurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My wife used a drysuit with a front relief zip for a season. Layering up made the "extension device" just too tough to use reliably. The next season she went with a Kokotat with rear relief zip, and had zippers installed in her favorite onesie layers. Way more effective for her.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Amp review

You may have found this review in your search, but here is a link to a review I did of my Amp on Trailspace earlier this year since I hadn't been able to find much online.

Stohlquist Amp Reviews - Trailspace.com

I'm happy with mine after several trips. Nothing has gone wrong after season 2, although I didn't use it much in 2016.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sounds like a great deal. Now it's almost half that price just to send a Kokatat suit back in for maintenance. Women seem to have an easy time with the front zip / funnel combo. Makes me jealous for a funnel myself, you know, for those extra cold days.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote