Old 05-04-2014   #1
Stohlquist add a buoy-Anyone used one?

It's time to buy a new PFD and I'm going through the mental exercise. I saw that Stohlquist makes an accessory called the add a buoy which essentially is a inflatable bladder you place in your front pocket of your PFD and gives you an additional 5# of flotation. Has anyone ever used one of these in big water? How does it compare to a High float PFD?

gbalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I would say buy it. I was with Jim for a G. Canyon trip last month. The pfd is equally as good as anything on the market- then if your worried about an ugly swim or the consequences of a swim you can inflate.

Jim say this allows almost the same buoyancy as those type 5 minsters for commercials - with way less size.

kayaked56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #3
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
The rescue PDF is the most comfortable one I've worn since my lost but not forgotten Lotus Lola. I have the inflatable thing to put in the pocket but haven't used it.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #4
cedar city, Utah
I have one and like it.

I think one of its principle benefits for me most times is psychological. Having a routine at the top of a big rapid is key for me. Tightening straps and then topping off the inflatable bladder helps me cut the edge a bit.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off