Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 05-01-2013   #1
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Sow how does everyone keep the inside of their dryboxes from getting garfed

I noticed on my last trip a few spots where items had started to wear into the metal of my drybox. I bet it happened on the ride to the river and not the river itself. Just wondering do people use lightweight packing foam to prevent this? Do you have a better method of preventing metal on metal contact?

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
It's not going to hurt the drybox... just adds character.

Also, this may or may not apply, but I always keep loaded rocket boxes (kitchen, pantry, etc) in the truck rather than in the trailer. Makes for a much smoother ride for everything you packed in there, like that new jar of peanut butter.

Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #3
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I pack stuff in containers and bags that go into the dry box. Any super heavy metal objects should be wraped up (like your old twisted sister tapes). I use old gloves and towels on my work truck to avoid things rubbing through my boxes when traveling miles of washboard roads. A shitty camp pad cut to fit would solve the problem.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #4
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Cloroplast, its the stuff they make signs (plastic ones) out of. Thin and its what I use
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #5
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Put a sticker over it.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #6
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Avatard, no insult to your packing skills, but maybe a re-org of the dry box would help. I could see those heavier plastic reusable grocery bags being enough buffer to prevent wear spots, and also give you compartmentalization for easy transport to camp and back. Right now, I use cardboard boxes to keep the items I don't want rubbing the sides, but I always open for something new.

Pinemonkey, you sure cloroplast is what you meant? I wanted to see what you were talking about, and google seems to think you mean chloroplast which is something from biology class. Chloroplast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stickers do hide blemishes quite well.
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #7
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Oh I so want to be a smart ass here and give u shit! But, I wouldn't worry about it either. Or tape some cardboard to the sides in affected spots. Or peg board, which I need to use for new drybox dividers after that one awesome thread. Or cut up plastic food containers, cheapo flexible cutting boards.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #8
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
There is a plastic goop that is used to form handles on tools; you can actually buy it at Home Depot or Lowes; you usually dip the tool handle in the stuff and when it hardens it forms a smooth, durable, plastic coating. For rocket boxes you could probably paint it on just the edges to form a kind of plastic rim. I don't remember what it's called, just that it was in either the tool department or the paint department, came in quart cans, was bright red and was more expensive than a new Mercedes, but the stuff is pretty amazing.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #9
Logan, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
We've got all our boxes lined on the bottom with that cheep blue sleeping pad foam, not glued in so it's easy to clean them out.
sssarahevt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #10
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post

Pinemonkey, you sure cloroplast is what you meant? I wanted to see what you were talking about, and google seems to think you mean chloroplast which is something from biology class. Chloroplast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use it in picture framing. It is basically plastic cardboard. Inert - whatever the heck that means. Typically used behind oil paintings or to add support if needed. I didn't look the specs but it seems 3/16.
I line my boxes with cardboard sometimes. The sidebox with booze has foam and dividers. The seatbox also has an old insulite? sleeping pad. I carry repair ammo and first aid in the box and it is nice. Apples, spuds and fruit can sit on the bottom. Cardboard dividers too. It works.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote